When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

[WIP] Building a cheaper alternative to TC Submariner 16610

marrickvilleboy

This will be a work in progress where I will continue to update as I gather more parts and build.

To give everyone a background, and especially the old timers like myself (been here effectively since the inception of this board) after moving over from the original RWG before that went under, there was an element of surprise and fun trying to build the perfect Submariner. The 16610 model has been around for the longest time, a timeless classic in many people's eyes, simple yet beautiful. Too bad I was drawn to Omegas back when I first started - anyway, I've moved over to the Rolex side now. However, nowadays, the TC submariner has made many people's lives easier - minimal modifications, genuine parts fit the case and easily the best out of the box 16610.

Now onto my goal - TC Sub means a price tag was $545 + shipping ($35 for me based in Australia) which seems a bit steep for me - that's $580 for the watch. So as mission, I wanted to explore the possibility of building a "budget" version and seeing if the quality stacks up. 

Here's the comparison:

Option 1) 

This is a combination of sourcing random parts and using a combination of TC parts

Option 2)

Buy TC parts separately and costs cut in areas that you can

Option 3)

Buy the TC Sub outright

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now for the math, the below includes shipping and is in USD.

Untitled_zpsljucbqfd.png

Its obvious that Option 2 makes no sense if you are sourcing all of the parts separately but if you have 1/3 of the parts lying around through trade or through sourcing from various members, there is potential.

Anyway, Option 1 is what I'm trying to achieve so thanks to various member, I have collected all of the parts under Option 1. Also to support my case for taking this approach, I also have spare 2892 movements so I don't actually need the 2824 movement. This puts me at $213 for the total build but of course for like for like basis, I have included it.

I will updated this with photos and comparison as I have the BK submariner (well sold it but have photos of it) as well as a genuine 16610 to help.

Appreciate any thoughts and opinions in the meantime.

A complete sub from TC for $550 is hard to beat but can be done. Alot of people sell their unused new parts for 10-25% off but is it worth your time?

I have a TC LV, TC v6, and a ST based 16803 blue. these are always fun so best of luck.

So for most people, the value of the TC v6 out of the box is clear. If you were to build the submariner part by part - its expensive. I listed out that option as some people have various parts lying around (maybe through trade, maybe through a package deal M2M), so then you can substitute here and there and potentially still save money.

Already sourced. Fits a genuine bracelet but the case doesn't have gen bezel construction which to me is meaningless since who is going to look at that across the desk

But does the D case take a gen crystal, retaining ring, washer, click spring and gen bezel assembly?

P1000210-1-1-1.jpg

This is the old noobmariner from 2008- gen crown and tube, Watchmaterial pearl, trimmed cgs, and backside of insert shaved to sit in bezel better. It had an eta movement and was my beater for quite a while- note the scratched insert. Watch was WR and went swimming quite a few times.

Rehaut on your D case sub looks ok- I've seen it vary on these cases from fair to wokky. D320840 was the SN on one of my old sub cases- it was totaled out when I tried to drill lugholes in the case.

One of the advantages of the noob case is that you can fit a gen dial in it- I got a noob case with the lugholes drilled from Omega over in Germany and put a matte dial in there and built a 16800- this was my beater for a number of years until I replaced the case with an ST 16800 case with gen bezel construction.

P1000185-4.jpg

Pretty hard to beat the TC V6 OTB.  You can pick up a nice Gen Xtal for 100 bucks and call it a day.  for a few hundred more go insert and bezel retainer.  Near gen look and feel for under 1K is a good price for any Franken!!

D-serial case is pretty decent too. Accepts gen dial, accepts gen bracelet and also accepts gen crown tube.

My goal was to cobble up a decent 16610 from parts and I think i'm on track. I have only spent ~$200 and is just missing a TC crown to finish. I have spare 2892s so thats what i've fitted in this watch.

Nice 16800 btw!

• 3 weeks later...