When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

3717 Project Complete

imajedi

I've had a VAC modded (Lume dial, hands, and AR) for some time. Bought it M2M a year or so ago. It is definitely one of my favorite watches. The problem when something makes it to your favorites list is that you start to notice flaws even more. None of you out there with your beautiful 3717 builds helped the situation either.

For some reason the VAC AR wasn't for me. It's very good but it has a blue tint, which I know is gen like, but just never seemed clear enough. I happen to be an AR freak and when it comes to AR for black dial watches, Taka is as good as anyone.

At some point I picked up a Taka AR crystal from a split up M2M sale. It sat and sat. I finally pulled the trigger and bought the gen dial and it came today so it was project time.

First off, check out the difference between the Taka (left) AR tint which is yellow/green and VAC (right) which is blue. When the crystals are just sitting there the yellow/green looks worse to me but once assembled on a black dial watch, the crystal completely vanished. It's soooo good.

46929bf09dbd9493662e08a6712b4b62.jpg

Next was a dial swap. I must say the gen (left) dial really doesn't seem to be much different at all. Other than the flat Lume markers, it's really hard to tell the difference. This is in contrast to Gen Omega dials that make the rep Omega dials look like a turd when you compare them.

be0426b363c8da3e8ebc480576994d86.jpg

9fe15bea57c82b11fb306ba999b25570.jpg

Next was assembly. Gen on the right now:

c30d4f17e400ed58b94e175499445d84.jpg

Finally finished. I couldn't be happier with the way it turned out. The gen dial with the Taka crystal is just stunning. One of my favorite all time watches.

d5014e8736e542e494dbd533004c2bcf.jpg7326d17a52a1692ba02729122c2ee9ae.jpg02db805b2438db6989103b94d3b0e6b0.jpg

I still regret selling it to you :(

The reason I sold it was because I saw the gen at an AD and compared it. Then I noticed the obvious flaws (for me). That was the crown and the shape of the 12 o'clock marker. The rep is too skinny in therms of width compared to gen.

I added some lines to your pic to show what I mean. Although both dials are both displayed in a slightly different angle, you get the point...

post-46462-0-61462700-1425470260_thumb.j

I still regret selling it to you.

Wow, can't believe you saw this and remember. Thanks for the watch!! I hope you're doing well and replaced it with something nice. :-) Buy the gen? Just so you know, I'm taking great care of it.

I never noticed the triangle. Thank god. :-) Good to know there are people even more critical than me.

• 2 months later...

I never knew about the triangle dial marker shape. I can confirm that my V1 dial has the correct shape though. I guess that only the V1 dial is correct. Thank you Eddie Lee for my V1 watch I bought as a pre-release way back when EL used to dash 100m in the rain with watches as part of his QC prior to shipping :-)

PS. Anybody have a Taka AR'd crystal for me?