When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Omega 42mm PO in need of adjustments

Seanpnichols

I just received a 42mm Omega PO from a trusted dealer here. And while I am really satisfied with the way it looks and feels, its needs adjustment.

First, I need to have two links taken out.  I would do it myself but I just cannot see the screws or pins well enough.  So I asked the guy in the mall at "Fast Fix" he said it would be $30! I've heard that it should only be around $7.

Secondly, I need to have the movement adjusted since it is running way too fast, a complete hour at the end of the day.  The same guy in the mall said it would cost $220 since it needed to be overhauled!  I told him it was a brand new watch and that all that needed to be done was to open the back, take a small screwdriver and adjust the regulator screw and maybe the course adjustment arm.

He actually suggested that I send it to Omega! LOL

When I told him it was a replica and that his prices were way to high, he replied, "I've got to eat too."

Can anyone recommend a decent repair person either here in the Washington, DC area, or someone trusty that I may send it to for repair?

For the bracelet, I cut a little piece of a regular paper small clip and use that to tap out the pin.

If your movement is running at a rate of +/- 1 hour in 24 hours then you possibly have a bigger problem than just an adjustment with the micro regulator.  That regulator would be effective if you were +/- say, 1 - 2 minutes/day.  I would contact the dealer and see what response you get.

It might be that the auto-wind assembly could be removed in order to get to the main regulator and then regulate from there.  If you have no experience with watch movements I would recommend finding a watchmaker to help.  Not the man in the mall.

Just my .02.

Thanks Preacher.

I contacted the trusted dealer and he told me to wind it up and tap it hard in the palm of my hand.

It worked and its been keeping great time!  Go figure.

And I actually have the right tool to adjust the bracelet.  My problem is that I just cannot see them.  LOL

Since we're snowed in today, maybe I'll just take out my contacts which will allow me to see things up close even better.  :)

Well, if its not one thing, it is most certainly another.  The bracelet fits really well now and it keeps great time.  But now the crown will not stay down!

I screw it down the exact same way I screw down the crown on my 45mm rep and my gen SMP.  But it feels like the threads within the crown or on the tube are striped.  I've read about this happening here on the board and I assume its my turn now.

I've contacted the TD and have sent him pics as requested.  I am not looking forward to paying a bunch of money to spend 4 weeks to send it to China and then wait another 4 weeks to get it or a replacement back.

I do have a few suggestions in mind that I may share with the TD:

1.  Send me a brand new replacement at the exact same time I return this one and show him emailed proof of shipping.

2.  Send me replacement crown and tube and refund me $100 so I may get them installed by someone locally.

3.  Send me a complete refund including shipping.

Any suggestions?

post-51997-0-00873200-1425766619_thumb.j

post-51997-0-99560000-1425766620_thumb.j

The TD has gotten back to me really quickly and has offered to send a replacement crown stem.

I guess I will take him up on his offer and find a local watchmaker to install it.

Unless there is a better option.

The TD has gotten back to me really quickly and has offered to send a replacement crown stem.

I guess I will take him up on his offer and find a local watchmaker to install it.

Unless there is a better option.

301-942-3794

I contacted the Russian guy at Kensington, and his prices were outrageous!

He wanted to charge me $250 just to install a new crown as stem! I told him that since all I needed to do was to buy a watch repair kit for a few bucks from Amazon, get it here in 2 days, remove the back, take a very small screwdriver, press the stem release button, pull the old one out, slide the new one in, and then close the back, I'll do it myself just like this guy did: 

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/140010-first-attempt-at-repairing-upo-45mm-keyless-works/?&fromsearch=1

I just took a better look at the problem with my crown, stem and tube and I just realized that the actual problem is that the threaded tube has become dislodged from the watch case itself!  Replacing the crown and stem will not solve what I find to be an almost common problem.

Before I purchase one, will a replacement tube from ofrei fit?

And will the case number inside the back cover 166 1653, actually find me what I need?

If not, where may I get one from?

How much should installing a new tube cost at an independent watchmaker?

Or should I just send it back to TrustyTime for a complete watch exchange?

Can I really save 15% by switching to Geico?

These are reps and will have issues. If the watch is a keeper then find a local watchsmith who is rep friendly and have them install a new tube. Sending watches back to China is a no go for me - what's to say the next one won't be the same when it turns up, plus the expense and waiting time.