When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Major changes coming to RWG

Admin

Hi. This is your captain speaking.

Been an awful long time down in the basement and as things are in my personal life, I am afraid I will spend most of my time down there, being your "wrench monkey" instead of being able to participate in watch discussions.

The fact is that 3 days ago marked the 9th birthday of this forum. At least that was the day that we all moved from the old RWG and created our new home here. A lot of water has passed under the bridge in these years and we are now over 60.000 members and have more than 1,2 million posts.

A lot of things has happened in the internet world also, technology wise and the forum software that we are using is facing a major upgrade. I am in the middle of testing out the upgrade as we speak and trying to prepare all files, databases, servers, etc for the upgrade, so that it will take place as smooth as possible.

I just want to warn you all that the new software will introduce some major changes to the forum. It will also mean that a great deal of the "extras" we have installed today, will most likely not work until developers hopefully create new versions of the extras we use today. It will mean a new look, new buttons, new places for things you have been used to find in another place for a long time now. But the upgrade is needed, for many reasons; One of the major reasons is that I hope to be able to integrate the upgrade function into the forum software again. It hasn't been easy after I was blacklisted by PP and they closed ALL of my accounts (personal, personal business accounts, etc). but the "hidden" solution that is in place now has been working fairly good.

Not going to make this post any longer than necessary, but just wanted to give you a heads up that there will be some downtime soon due to this. I will get back with more details as soon as I know when ;)

• Like 5

What we need is a rep with "Rwg 9th anniversary" on the case back

Other rwg did a forum watch but ended In disaster so probably wont see such a Thing again

Word of advice - another forum I'm part of just upgraded. Learn from our mistake and don't use that bloated hunk of [censored], vBulletin. Nothing imported correctly, the tech support was terrible during the migration, and the stress it put on the servers was astronomical. We scrapped it and moved on to xenforo. Night and day as far as ease of transition. It is about 20% of the bandwidth on the servers and a much better user experience. I believe the pricing was rather similar.