When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

$10,000 for an Apple Watch?

dbane883

Think about the gen you could buy, not to mention a dozen super moddeed reps for that kiond of money. Despite the fact Apple is a great company, they have always targeted a segment of the market that is characterized by their vanity more than their common sense.

Seems like a good deal............. for Apple: "At the current gold price of about $1,175, wrapping 2 ounces of gold around its watch technology would cost Apple $2,350 per timepiece."

The gold-edition will cost between 11.000 and 18.000 euro in the EU, including almost 3000 euro VAT. Suddenly the SS submariner became just another (almost) cheap watch......

$10k to spend on a watch. This would NOT be it.

I think there are some lovely design details on these Apple watches and I hate to say it but this might make watches 'cool' again. Surprising how many people stopped wearing with the surge of the mobile phone. So I guess in a way Apple are entering a market place that they helped to damage.

I'll be watching these things closely but I shan't be getting one just yet

While we are all WIS, we are not all acolytes of everything computer, so I would guess that a fair majority of "real" watch people would not be caught dead with and Apple watch. However, considering that every time Apple upgrades the IPhone, people wait in line outside Apple stores for days to get the newest version, leads me to believe that these same folks will be lined up waiting to buy and IWatch.

Frankly, I see this product,at least at this stage with a dearth of good apps, as what we in the medical field describe as "a solution looking for a problem". It looks like a wiz bang, jam up great product, now all we have to do is figure out what to do with it!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

its ugly and idiotic and I plan to laugh at anyone wearing one, starting with one of my apple cultist friends

Maybe if you're really lucky you'll get a two-fer and find a GlassHole wearing an iWatch.

Seems like a good deal............. for Apple: "At the current gold price of about $1,175, wrapping 2 ounces of gold around its watch technology would cost Apple $2,350 per timepiece."

The gold-edition will cost between 11.000 and 18.000 euro in the EU, including almost 3000 euro VAT. Suddenly the SS submariner became just another (almost) cheap watch......

I doubt there will be even 1 ounce of gold in the Apple Watch.  The Rolex President (including the bracelet) has about 2 troy oz of gold in it, and it is significantly chunkier than the Apple watch.

The apple watch will appeal to the same people who bought those virtu phones from a few years ago.

Maybe some of our modders here will start gold plating the steel ones.  Looks to me like the case design is the same.

Edited by rrari1

I've always wanted to see someone wearing G-Glass, all the iPhone and smart tech gear they can throw on their body, etc and just have a black t-shirt on that says "Resistance if Futile" and the back says "BORG" with fake tube graphics going into their body right where their wallet is...

i think the craziest part is the $5000 leather strap...

a 38mm 18kt gold AppleWatch with "sports band" is $10k.
a 38 18kt gold AppleWatch with "modern buckle" is $15k.

that makes the strap $5000

i dont even think Hermes is that ballsy!!

i kinda wanted to check it out until i found the version i was thinking of getting (Stainless steel w/ mesh) would be close to $700. 

i can buy a real watch for that much.

Who would buy this high-end edition??

That's quite a bit for something that needs to be replaced each year. I will pass thank you very much.

My thoughts exactly. Not to mention having to be charged several times a day!! Pathetic really.

Won't find me buying any wearable tech just yet.

• 1 month later...

Hm...which makes me think that it makes a lot of sense to rep the housing of this thing and the bracelet. Thus you can convert a cheapie version to a full blown celebrity rich man's status symbol. I guess you will need some special tools to open it, but hey....