When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New member, my collection

GolfPunk

No I'm not never heard of RWI

Not you silly. 

The guy whom I quoted, GetReplicaWatches. 

Sorry to have hijacked your thread, he simply popped up here. Another guy, another story entirely!

Have to say, this thread certainly has generated a lot of interest.

I agree with most of the guys above, if you hang around and maintain a modicum of politeness, I believe you will find the knowledge level here pretty darn high.

We welcome everyone here, as long as they don't purposely ruffle everyone's feathers!!

AFA Frankens, when you are looking at vintage Rolex for example, there are very few parts available, quite a lot of the stuff for sale over on the vintage Rolex Marketplace is well used, and some of it is used up. So that brings us to another dilemma, I have a vintage Rolex 1665, if I need a crystal, and the only choices are, 1. Vintage that's probably old and brittle and may crack when I try to press it on, 2. Aftermarket new crystal that is the exact same specs as gen and will not only fit, but preserve the water resistance, or3. Put it in my sock drawer and forget about it because I would rather not wear it than have a aftermarket crystal. What would you do? I know what I would do, the same thing that 99% of Rolex owners would do if faced with a similar situation, use the aftermarket crystal. Since you have contemporary watches that still have parts available, that is not a problem, but believe me, there are tons of watches here that are almost all gen, but have a non-gen part or two, sometimes out of necessity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is why I apologised, when I realised it was replica watch guide I wrongly assumed it was all about £20 cheap Chinese fakes. Again, my apologies.

The difference between you and countless others before you, is that you have the gall and heart to stand out and apologize for something you feel is wrong, rather than keep bulldozing your way through senselessly. I for one appreciate that greatly. Respect to you sir.

The watches built by many members in RWG are impressive to say the least, and would stand up to the scrutiny of 99.9% of the world population. Having said that, there ARE such things as 20 quid chinese replicas of course. They are just not the primary type of watches we discuss here. We do not condemn that kind of watches and their collectors here either, but the discussions mostly focus on better built replicas. 

Fundamentally, a fake watch is a watch that is not a real working watch. A replica watch is one that emulates a certain genuine brand make and model, and a good replica watch actually attains at least 90%-95% similarity to the genuine one. Like your good self, I started my collection with genuine watches, and slowly I dwell into the world of replica watches over the past few years and discovered one of the smartest financial decisions in my life. Just a quick fact sheet for you and I think I speak for many here:

a. We understand very well the differences between a genuine high end brand watch and its replica counterpart. We do not attempt to pass off the watches as real. We wear the watches for our own leisure and not to impress anyone else..

b. There are many grades of replica. A replica will always be a replica and would never be equal to the genuine McCoy. But there are replica watches that are good enough for owners of genuine watches.  

c. My favorite part of RWG: Watch building, modding, and the sharing of all information pertaining to this. You would be amazed at how much more could be learnt here compared with the genuine watch forums, which focus on models, prices, comparisons between models and information of a comparatively superficial level.

Here, you would find guys who are very intimately familiar with watch parts, the intricate modding process of a watch movement, and the different ways you could tinkle with a watch to improve it in countless ways. For us, the joy is in the journey.

d. We are most definitely NOT the jealous, unemployed scums you mentioned earlier. I personally know of: 2 doctors, 1 lawyer, 1 fighter pilot, 2 commercial pilots, 4 successful businessmen, 1 hedge fund manager, 2 bankers, 1 professor-lecturer at a prestigious University in Europe, and countless others who hold respectable jobs. It is more likely that you get envious of many of the watch collections available here, than the other way.

Enough rambling, welcome again to RWG and I wish you a pleasant stay here. Replace that misinformed contempt with understanding of who and what we are about, and you would do a lot better.    

Didn't realise you all discussed fakes (no such thing as a replica). Please remove me from this shower of shit!!!

Unlike the gen forums, all - serious watch aficionados - are welcome here. As has been said, you will find many fakes, frankens, reps and genuine watches here. As long as you have a passion for timepieces, you are welcome.

• Like 1

I'm currently having my Rolex Daytona bezel PVD coated to resemble a ceramic bezel. I don't consider a genuine frankenwatch to be fake/replica.

Of course, it is your watch to do with as you please, but you will destroy the innate beauty of that Daytona by having any part of it modified. More importantly, as far as Rolex is concerned, by modifying it, you have turned a genuine Rolex into a non-genuine Rolex and many Rolex Service Centers (RSCs) will refuse to work on a watch so modified. Think seriously before you move.

Holy shit how did I miss this thread   :huh:  turned completely from when I welcomed you here..........................make no mistake we are the nice friendly forum golfpunk, just a little respect goes a long way   :)

Where's @POTR? Not seen this latest turd yet? :D

I saw. Been busy, but not really bothered too much by this guy...

He misstepped, got hammered, and defended himself rather robustly, and stepped back when everyone else did. I didn't feel any need to stomp on him, even if his 'despise' comment did make me cringe just a bit.

He might turn out OK. I've seen what I feel is worse out of longer term members around here recently.

Golf dude - I would take your genuine bezel off the Daytona, buy another one, then PVD that secondary one. That way you preserve the integrity of your virgin genuine watch in the eyes of the ROLEX.

Hi

I have bought a new genuine bezel as a 'spare' so I have this covered. Thanks though