When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 6200 project started

cc33

Helllllllo all, sorry that I haven't been as active lately, work was getting crazy and then I took a short vacation. I just got back though to a parcel waiting for me, and I could not be happier. As some of you know I have been obsessed with big crowns for a long time and one of the models that I'm most obsessed with is the 6200. There's something about the 3-6-9 dials and A series movements thats very appealing, but they all had those super long hour hands that I was never able to find.... until now!! Phong has stainless ones that I will have to have gold plated to mimic gilt and relumed (Gen gilt hands were actually gold leafed not plated but that's the best I can do!)

This is just the start, I also have the Gen dial plate sourced and am presently waiting for it to be redone, I guess the only thing I'm missing now is the a296 movement and a stem that fits an a296 and 8mm crown with a 1.1 mm thread... 

16795727405_32fa3fa3cd_o.jpg16795735145_5429bec349_o.jpg16175817993_78378f7f3c_o.jpg

• Like 4

I always ask for pics, if the bevels are messed up I refuse it. He really did well with these though you're right, I'm thrilled! Thanks, it's the only cool one I have so I just put it on whichever watch I'm using at the moment. All my poor watches have to share the same insert and bezel :) lol

The 6204 project is aside because the case is not gen construction, the crystal sits in a grove in the case like the old mbw's.. There's no way to use any other than the one it came with, and the bezel doesn't hold a gen insert, it requires a larger one. The dial that was sourced was actually supposed to be used for the 6204, but now I will have it made as a 3-6-9 dial (same size and feet).. I'm not sure if the gen 6200 plate was countersunk but I know that most 3-6-9 dials from the various models weren't. A few were.

I only have one other big crown and it is currently getting a new red dial put inside. I eventually would love to add a tudor big crown too, either that or a 5510. Three is a good number ;)

It is my understanding that the hands on the first Submariners were brass due to their intended sea duty. I got my 13mm minute hand from Helenarou and gently sanded all the hands to bare brass using 1500 grit sandpaper. The chapter ring itself measures 26mm in diameter. The look of the watch really changes using the 13mm minute hand in place of the 12mm minute hand used since. Since the hand change, I love my 6204 as much as my 6542s. The 6542 uses a  silver 13mm minute hand but 'standard' length hour hand. If I can find a Tiger V2 case, or if someone makes a gen style case for reasonable money, I will rebuild the 6204 and improve the dial as well. 

Your 6200 is awesome!

post-16926-0-12421500-1426259944_thumb.j

Small crown joy!

post-16926-0-76490900-1426259953_thumb.j

• Like 1

I very nice project...

I assume that is Phong's 6538 case with 6200 engravings?

The case looks great.

Not so sure about those hands though, in particular the minute hand looks very wrong around the base and the second hand not much better. I can't work out what Phong would have modelled these from but it could not have been using gen 6200 hands. The hour hand is better but again slightly off. A shame as I think this is only long arm hour hand out there. I would say ditch the minute and second hands for Michael Young (maybe) and use Phongs hour hand, then get all 3 hands plated to match.

Great advice, that's probably what I will do. It's a 6200 case through and through. It's thicker to accommodate the a296 movement and has a kind of bubble back case back. The inside of the case is different too, I'm fairly sure a 1030 wouldn't fit right inside it..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Such a slow process.. It has taught me to have patience if nothing else! The dial plate is prepped and ready, it will be a few weeks before I get to see how that turns out (I'm sure well) I've recently purchased another gen bezel so I don't have to keep swapping the only one I had between the 6200 and 6538. As soon as I have the dial I will update with pics, it's going to be a 3-6-9 dial with no depth rating or submariner text.

• Like 2