When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Let there be bevels

dbane883

If you've ever reshaped a mid case, one of the toughest mods to do properly is being able to cut bevels that have crisp/sharp edges.

Here's an example of stock Yuki 5513 case lugs. Note how the edges are slightly rounded and the satin finishing on the top of the lugs have bled over to the bevel itself. Not cool:

IMG_6178_zpsvvluz7i9.jpg

IMG_6174_zpszijajtxw.jpg

IMG_6171_zps058tzw7t.jpg

After spending some time on my lapping machine, here's what (I think) bevels on a 5513 should look like. Lugs have been slightly thinned, repolished, satinized, and bevels cut last:

IMG_6313_zpsauetu8fi.jpg

IMG_6314_zpsv0mnid22.jpg

IMG_6312_zpsgo2lan1v.jpg

IMG_6311_zpsx1fdnu82.jpg

• Like 4

Oh, hell yeah!!! I wonder if a brand new gen would be this crisp and defined?

For sure the bevels cut. 30+ years were not this sharp. The cases were held against a lapping wheel free hand, and then buffed on a polisher; which would result in slightly rounded edges. The bevels I cut here have not been touched on a buffing wheel and came straight off the lapping machine/bevel cutter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a shop in LA that does a lot of restoration and service work for vintage pieces. Their trademark icing on the cake for clients is to put new bevels on the case before sending it back. Members over on TRF swear by them. I can't remember their name but your work is on par with them!

Edited by Mendota Explorer

I noticed my case doesn't even have bevels... this is very disappointing to me indeed. 

Bevels (technically "chamfers") = vintage which is part of the appeal. Bevels vary by year to pretty much disappearing on newer pieces. The early vintage subs have the most bevel so a 6538/7922/6200/6542 have marvelous bevels - and Bane nails it here.

Edited by Seacraft

Bevels (technically "chamfers") = vintage which is part of the appeal. Bevels vary by year to pretty much disappearing on newer pieces. The early vintage subs have the most bevel so a 6538/7922/6200/6542 have marvelous bevels - and Bane nails it here.

The case I have is supposed to be a PCG 5513 - '66

I've attached a pic. I think I'll need to take a stab at this lapping business to create some bevels / chamfers on it going by bane's amazing pictures / work as a guide. Any suggestions as to it are extremely appreciated

post-67250-0-36964300-1426447946_thumb.j

post-67250-0-70441900-1426447948_thumb.j

post-67250-0-87651300-1426447954_thumb.j

The case I have is supposed to be a PCG 5513 - '66

I've attached a pic. I think I'll need to take a stab at this lapping business to create some bevels / chamfers on it going by bane's amazing pictures / work as a guide. Any suggestions as to it are extremely appreciated

Lapping is an art and requires a tremendously expensive machine $4-10K and a lot of experience. a 63 PCG (1966 is after pointed CGs) is going to have less chamfer/bevel than a 58' NCG sub. but more than a 79 5513. Search a bunch of photos - I like to check hqmilton.com as a good comparison site.

Lapping is an art and requires a tremendously expensive machine $4-10K and a lot of experience. a 63 PCG (1966 is after pointed CGs) is going to have less chamfer/bevel than a 58' NCG sub. but more than a 79 5513. Search a bunch of photos - I like to check hqmilton.com as a good comparison site.

Thank you! 

I think it was Civic over on Homage Forum who took his Silix case and produced amazing chamfers by hand on his 6200 build. Those cases and lugs are squared off and he produced really nice looking chamfers either with a dremel or by hand with a file.

Maybe if we are really nice to Dbane and give him lots of beer and whiskey or wine (or cash) he will help us out with our own vintage case projects!