When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Movement dial holes

ww12345

• 2 months later...

A genuine 1570 dial would look like this, when the ETA is prepared to accept it:

post-47307-0-64814700-1432277119_thumb.j

Notice the 57min dial foot. The foot has a few microns of clearance to the balance wheel.

The 30min dial foot has a bit more clearance to the mainspring barrel.

Testing the clearance with a sheet of paper passing freely through the gaps between mainspring barrel, the balance wheel and corresponding feet.

All in all this has been done by hand with mini files, filing step by step, testing fit and centre to the movement.

There is absolutely no margin for error.

• Like 1

Regarding the date wheel compatibility.

In the above picture the franken is a no date, that is why I removed the date wheel and had no need to check if the 1570 dial feet would clear an ETA date wheel.

Today as I am reviewing some pictures of the process "modding the main plate", I see that the gen ETA 2783 date wheel seems to have a quite small outer diameter.

That is why I dare to claim that at least an ETA 2783 or 27xx family movement would work fine with the date complication and an 1570 dial installed.

Here is a quick photo (bear in mind the 1570 feet holes had not been done at that stage when the picture was taken):

I4GhGAD.jpg

For some dials the mainplate can be slotted, I've done it. The datejust cannot be done. I can do it for one foot, but the other foot prevents the set lever from operating correctly. As the set lever moves to the date set and time set position the foot next to it will not let it move up. I tried slotting the set lever, but it was to weak after it was cut. 

Yeah, that's what I usually do. However, I read on here somewhere that someone had drilled holes in the ETA mainplate so they could use a gen dial, so I was hoping whoever that was would answer in this thread... :)

For a modern 3135 dial and a 28xx ETA movement, it is not possible. One of the feet would go through the balance wheel. Other dial variants might have different dial feet positions.

Edited by sneed12