When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Where can I find a pocket watch dial for a custom build?

Hello all,

I hope someone can help me with my project. I have decided to build a marine-style watch, using a pocket watch dial.

Here are some watches I found online, that illustrate what I’m going for:

post-67237-0-56846900-1426863639_thumb.gpost-67237-0-14539800-1426863641_thumb.jpost-67237-0-23820500-1426863642_thumb.jpost-67237-0-68625600-1426863642_thumb.j

The parts I will be using are:

-Style #10 case from ofrei.com, which is the 41mm case to be used with ETA/Unitas 6498

-Unitas 6498

-A white pocket watch dial (preferably signed)

-Blue hands

So everything is easy enough to source, apart from the dial. The dial needs to be approximately 37mm, and have the correct position/distance for the seconds hand.

Any advice on sourcing a suitable dial?

Any help is much appreciated!

Best,

Andrew

Edited by andrewchrysovitsinos

I think most pocket watch dials are going to be way too big.

Although, you should be able to find some standard dials in that config.

There should be a list of suppliers around here or is that another forum or two?

Thanks for your reply. I know most dials are in excess of 42mm, but it seems plenty of smaller ones were made also.

I haven't managed to find a good selection of white dials online, or on any forums. There are plenty of black military styled dials available, but not many white ones...

Also, a reason I wanted an old pocket watch dial is the name on it. I like sterile military and pilot watches, but no so much on a marine watch.

Thank you all for your replies!

Unfortunately the dial size must be from 26mm to 27mm. That is what the case accepts. Helenarou dials are too big, as are most I can find on eBay!

I have not checked etsy yet, I will have a look now.

The newolddials is a possibility, although having a real pocket watch dial would make it a bit "cooler " I think!

@AJ, a custom dial would be awesome, but I'm looking to keep the cost down for this one. I will PM you if I decide to do a fully custom watch.

There are a few dials that have the correct size, but my main concern is the sub-dial position. So my question is, is the distance of the seconds hand always the same? No mater the movement? If I get an old Elgin or Hamilton dial, will the holes overlap?

Thanks again for all the help guys!