When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

V7 Diver mods?

Got a question for the AP experts here. I just got a practically brand new V7 diver M2M on another forum. I have a V5 that has some mods, and I had planned to mod it further, but now that will shift to the V7. What I plan, is to replace the crystal with one of guru's single side AR, and drop in a Powermatic 80 movement. What else should I plan? How is the cyclops AR on the V7? Both my FC and V5 have weak cyclops AR. Also, how is the lume in the V7? Good enough to go with or is a relume necessary as well.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got a question for the AP experts here. I just got a practically brand new V7 diver M2M on another forum. I have a V5 that has some mods, and I had planned to mod it further, but now that will shift to the V7. What I plan, is to replace the crystal with one of guru's single side AR, and drop in a Powermatic 80 movement. What else should I plan? How is the cyclops AR on the V7? Both my FC and V5 have weak cyclops AR. Also, how is the lume in the V7? Good enough to go with or is a relume necessary as well.

Thanks

Hey A,

I am not an AP expert but here is my take on the list of mods for your V7

a. Powermatic 80 movement

b. Guru crystal if you already have it

c. The V7 supposedly has double AR on the cyclops: Good to go

d. Lume should be good enough.. relume is strictly a matter of personal preference, not for enhanced accuracy

e. Sunken bezel screws, contrary to very popular belief, is NOT a consistent feature on all gen divers..but you can align and slightly sink all bezel screws for aesthetic appeal (not accuracy.. non sunken bezel screws, or unevenly sunken bezel screws, are NOT a tell)

f. While the watch is being disassembled, I would recommend you get the dial polished to a high gloss.. this mod IS for accuracy. ;)

g. Lastly, gen strap and buckle if you really love the watch to the max A! Not strictly necessary and only if you want to go the whole hog. 

Don't sell yourself short sir!! You have more high end AP's than the AP Boutique in your fair city. I value your opinion highly, and appreciate your input. One question, how do you go about polishing the the dial to high gloss?

Thanks very much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't sell yourself short sir!! You have more high end AP's than the AP Boutique in your fair city. I value your opinion highly, and appreciate your input. One question, how do you go about polishing the the dial to high gloss?

Thanks very much.

:lol: I would consider myself more a fan than an expert. 

Speaking on the dial, I did notice a difference in the "shine and gloss" factor between the gen and the rep. The gen is simply more glossy in finish.

I have not done the mod myself, nor have I come across someone who has done it to be honest. But straight off my head, I was wondering if a layer of lacquer would work? I considered wax of course, but given the exposure of the dial to sunlight, it might cause the wax to melt and flake off eventually, doing more harm than good.

So yes, if it was my own diver, I would lacquer the dial!

:lol: I would consider myself more a fan than an expert. 

Speaking on the dial, I did notice a difference in the "shine and gloss" factor between the gen and the rep. The gen is simply more glossy in finish.

I have not done the mod myself, nor have I come across someone who has done it to be honest. But straight off my head, I was wondering if a layer of lacquer would work? I considered wax of course, but given the exposure of the dial to sunlight, it might cause the wax to melt and flake off eventually, doing more harm than good.

So yes, if it was my own diver, I would lacquer the dial!

More like a Fan AND an expert :D

More like a Fan AND an expert :D

Ah yes, I knew you would turn up sooner or later master folex. 

While you are here, why don't you give the real expert opinion on the needed mods? ;)

Help a friend and nice member out.  

• Like 1

Ah yes, I knew you would turn up sooner or later master folex.

While you are here, why don't you give the real expert opinion on the needed mods? ;)

Help a friend and nice member out.

To be frank, im not sure what mod is needed. The true mod master is someone named mr. A on this forum, i heard he is LEGEND-ary. But i got a pict of a fren's diver if it helps for comparison sake ;)

697f1458ad5dd4287bdb8a45631049bc.jpg

Sent from my iP**** using Tapatalk

• Like 1

To be frank, im not sure what mod is needed. The true mod master is someone named mr. A on this forum, i heard he is LEGEND-ary. But i got a pict of a fren's diver if it helps for comparison sake ;)

Sent from my iP**** using Tapatalk

I see that you are humble as well. 

Yes FINALLY in that pic, I saw the frustrating "white borders"... finally. ;)

I see that you are humble as well. 

Yes FINALLY in that pic, I saw the frustrating "white borders"... finally. ;)

... and the thinner date font...

I just get another 'new' V7 (the 2nd in 4 months), JF made a 'silent update' on it. The dial is more glossy, and the date is perfectly centered (pic below).

image_zpswjsg0qzk.jpg

As I'm not an expert too, I would recommend to use Noob DIVER's plots on V7 case if you wanna use a Gen rubber strap on it for a perfect fit (what I did)

I just get another 'new' V7 (the 2nd in 4 months), JF made a 'silent update' on it. The dial is more glossy, and the date is perfectly centered (pic below).

image_zpswjsg0qzk.jpg

As I'm not an expert too, I would recommend to use Noob DIVER's plots on V7 case if you wanna use a Gen rubber strap on it for a perfect fit (what I did)

You and Folex are AP experts and you both always like to claim otherwise. 

I love this forum and all the humble people. ;)

I'm just very happy that you guys are around, and are willing to share your wisdom with those of us who aren't as knowledgable. That's what makes this such a great place. Great members make a great forum.

image_zpswjsg0qzk.jpg

Silent update? I must get one myself. Which TD did you get the latest V7 from? 

Silent update? I must get one myself. Which TD did you get the latest V7 from?

Yes, mate. I got it from Ryan (intime.co). He's not a TD in this forum but in others, and he's a good guy to deal with ;)

Here are 2 videos of my recent JF Diver V7

http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj619/tinitonsiinitonsi/th_IMG_7668_zpsd8vkezdt.mp4

http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj619/tinitonsiinitonsi/th_IMG_7669_zps2xtxwgnt.mp4

Take note that the watch is better in person and more flashy ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the noob question but what is a powermatic 80 movement? Just bought a diver and wanted to slightly mod it

Tissot Powernatic 80 is a slow beat ETA movement that has stated an 80 hour power reserve. AFAIK this movement is only used in the Tissot Powermatic 80 watches.

• 2 months later...

Correct. The Tissot Powermatic 80 movements can be found in the T Sport Seastar 1000 models. If you are keen on this 21,000 low beat movement you will need to buy a used Tissot and canibalize it by extracting the movement and dropping into the AP diver. This cost of the movement will be between $275 and $350 from what I have seen in the used market. Post Christmas is a very good time to shop for these watches as folks unload their presents for cash not knowing us modifiers place keen value in their movements. Call it asymmetric information.

What is the difference between V3 and V5, V7?

Between v3 and v7, about 3 years and $80. Rather than explain the minor differences to you, I'll simply tell you to get the v7 if you're a prospective buyer. If you're doing a scholarly research, there's plenty here to read up on.

Sent from Mars using tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks

Brother,

How did you go with the V7 Diver ? im considering the options now for a Summer watch :) and yes Mr A ill go the SS version nothing Yellow this time around.

Cheers

Daz

Pretty much what I planned in the first post, the guru single sided AR Crystal and the powermatic 80 movement. Misielkped did the work, outstanding as always, and all I'm doing is wearing it and loving it.

I believe the Lume is adequate for the watch. Although the dealers claim double AR it is somewhat lacking. If I were doing it again, I would go for the double AR cyclops.

1ac7ce36917ab7bf08053787c9770142.jpg

ad14f00425fb145bcad913187fb5e16b.jpg

lPretty much what I planned in the first post, the guru single sided AR Crystal and the powermatic 80 movement. Misielkped did the work, outstanding as always, and all I'm doing is wearing it and loving it.

I believe the Lume is adequate for the watch. Although the dealers claim double AR it is somewhat lacking. If I were doing it again, I would go for the double AR cyclops.

1ac7ce36917ab7bf08053787c9770142.jpg

ad14f00425fb145bcad913187fb5e16b.jpg

Looks amazing!!!! Did you put a different DW by chance? It doesn't look like the V7 DW.