When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What has happened to Panerai?

HauteHippie

Interesting topic gents! I would agree PAM was flailing prior to Sly's interest. He brought the brand back in a big way. I still think the loyal panerista's will continue their interest but there's only so much that can be said and done with their simple design. Just sit back change a strap or two and enjoy!

• 3 months later...

I agree with all off the above responces.When I see someone wearing a panerai I instantly think fake.They stuffed up by releasing to many varients.Who knows if its real or not.Would I  spend the asking price for an authentic piece answer     NOl

• 5 weeks later...

This is indeed an interesting subject.. I have been a member here at RWG for a bit over 9 years now an it is a far better club of really great individuals than when I first arrived. There were some here back then who were rather unpleasant and riled a number of us. They are long gone and it is great how cool RWG is now.

I pretty much discovered Panerai here and have owned so many of them. Working in Caesars Palace, I was astonished by how well some Pam reps were made compared to the original item in the AD stores. There is a Panerai boutique now in Caesars which is fun to visit. The brand is as strong as ever and very popular amoung   the folks who easily drop thousands for Pams . I see no letup on the popularity of the brand. Like any product their are peaks and valleys of popularity, but this watch line will be around for many years to come.

• Like 1

Interesting topic for sure. I have owned and do still own Gen Pams and I have several reps. I'm much more impressed by my reps in terms of value for dollar. But, to each his own. And I love the history of the brand almost as much as the timeless simplicity of the style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Interesting subject for sure... I've had several gen Panerai over the last 15 years (always bought pre-owned) and many many reps... The quality of the reps is just amazing these days. I just got a 243J that is every bit as good as the genuine (except for deep diving) for my purposes...

Other than the morality of the subject and self-guilt in buying a rip-off, I see no reason to buy the gen and pay for the marketing and greed of the (and other) brand.

• Like 1

I agree with all off the above responces.When I see someone wearing a panerai I instantly think fake.They stuffed up by releasing to many varients.Who knows if its real or not.Would I  spend the asking price for an authentic piece answer     NOl

I do not have that "so strong" feeling/reaction with PAMs.

Instead, everybody that sees a Rolex in someone else´s wrist , inmediatly ask/think , is it a fake?. No doubt, Rolex is the brand with "more doubts" :-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

A final note is a watch store owner who carries Rolex, Breitling, Patek, Tag Heuer and Cartier told me that

he once tried to carry Officine Panerai and found the brand very difficult to deal with and that Panerai had a real sense of entitlement in its business dealings

and abandon the idea of carrying the line..........in the end it is a business.

+1 ...

Same info from a local well known store, this side :-((

Edited by JMC

• 1 month later...

Prices are definatly down on eBay. So panerai are not as sought after as they were, that is a fact

I wanted a pam292 but once I had the rep I had to ask why, you just would not call it out.

So they lost a eBay sale there, but I still love the style, and it is style that you're buying.

Buy the way I did the same with a submariner I bought here so maybe that doesn't proove to much.

Panerai are far from finished though and I am interested to read Hambones comment that they are still selling well in Ceasars palace,

Good luck to the brand I will always like there watches