When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Private vehicle reg. plates in USA

gemballa

Always wondered how they work and associated costs.

Is it a case of you can have anything you want regarding its not been taken within your state?

Here in UK you can't just have words/letters i.e. Big Boy. It would have to be a combo of letters and digits - B15 80y.

Just curious

Lazy chilling on an Easter Sunday.

Happy Easter to all. Enjoy the bank holiday!

Depends on the State, but yes, you can pretty much get anything as long as it's not offensive and fits within the parameters (there is a limit to the number of charactes for example).

Most States charge an additional premium over the normal plate fee. Florida just charges an extra $15/yr. It was $50 in Ohio. There are some States that also charge you to make the plate to begin with.

7 letter max in WA State and +$50 a year. You do have a bunch of options for plate design. Yes there are fees to transfer to another vehicle. WA is a very tax happy state though so might not be the case in other states.

Sent from my droptop using telepathy.

7 letter max in WA State and +$50 a year. You do have a bunch of options for plate design. Yes there are fees to transfer to another vehicle. WA is a very tax happy state though so might not be the case in other states.

Cheers Droptopman.

Where in WA you from? I worked out in Tacoma many years ago. Loved it except its probably more rainy than the Lake District during winter!

Cheers Droptopman.

Where in WA you from? I worked out in Tacoma many years ago. Loved it except its probably more rainy than the Lake District during winter!

Hi there, nice to see someone else who has spent time in the beautiful PNW.

I am from Seattle but now live in central WA which is more like high desert with minimal rain. I love Seattle but after 30 years of rain and traffic moved to Yakima a few years back. Still only 2 hour drive from downtown but much better weather and no traffic.

Cheers.

• 1 month later...

They just took a plate back from a guy that's had this plate for years. Lame. Plus turn it upside down. 3I0H55V. People are just too sensitive. My neighbor has s corvette with L8RCOPS. No worries about that. It's $77 for the first year for me, but I have veterans plates option. Have wanted JGCN0IR for a while. That's my ride. I think it it is appropriate.

What shall we have? An '82 Margaux! Is it any good? Good....?, It will make you believe in God!

Edited by champagneinhand