When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Road to perfection: THE Franken IWC Big Pilot 5002

watchfreund

Some of you know that I already build some Franken 5002. Some still own former versions. ;)

It was time for a new build - A build nobody else has done yet. This time it was supposed to be perfect. With the help of the very talented watchmaker and friend Zocker4711 a long journey came to an end. Domi also helped and made a custom movement holder and thinned the case. Thanks a lot guys!

For this build I visited Zocker4711 with all parts and we worked on the Franken the entire day. People that know Zocker or me know how hard we are looking for perfection. No mistake was acceptable.

The setup:

IMG_8835_zpsuqx5aoeo.jpg

The perfect custom movement holder done by Domi:

IMG_8845_zpswnwlecsx.jpg

The case back was thinned by Domi so that the new movement fits:

IMG_8828_zpspkqztgwj.jpg

The watch case. Prepared by Zocker with the perfect installed GEN tube:

IMG_8878_zps64jmskrd.jpg

IMG_8869_zpsq8vqeowz.jpg

The GEN crown:

IMG_8857_zpsb3szocca.jpg

IMG_8879_zpsaxqmaf70.jpg

I was lucky to score two brand new old bufallo straps. The brown is the rare old one with the nice texture. And the black is even more rare and not available at all.

IMG_8896_zps3enra6wz.jpg

IMG_8899_zpsq0fcplsq.jpg

IMG_8903_zpskfvkgqoa.jpg

GEN dial, movement and date disc:

IMG_8907_zpsghit2iod.jpg

And GEN hands installed. Zocker did an awesome job. Not one scratch on the hands.

IMG_8921_zpsk0alq5y6.jpg

Beautiful:

IMG_8937_zpswrzrkgpr.jpg

IMG_8929_zpswdoiutt5.jpg

There we go:

IMG_9209_zpsmmu6twfp.jpg

IMG_9221_zpslxz5rygh.jpg

IMG_9211_zps4pmpfipm.jpg

Wristshots:

IMG_9228_zpslgnv1vtk.jpg

4 days power reserve:

IMG_9235_zpsmwbdrzha.jpg

5 days power reserve:

IMG_9241_zpsboqtzvms.jpg

Fully charged:

IMG_9269_zpsoxvxdu23.jpg

I cant thank Zocker4711 enough. Finding and collecting the parts over years was one thing and my passion. But putting them together is the other story and Zocker4711 did an hell of a job here. I appreciate that he is at least as much a perfectionist like I am.

The specs so far:

BP Factory IWC 5002 Big Pilot
IWC cal 51112 movement
IWC 5002 dial
IWC hour and minute hand
IWC second hand
IWC power reserve hand
IWC date disc
IWC crown
IWC tube
IWC crystal
IWC brown buffalo strap
IWC black buffalo strap

And trust me. The movement is unbelievable. You can leave it on your desk for 5 days and it is still timed 100% correct. Not a second to fast or to slow.

Cheers
  • Like 2

Thank you for all this feedback and messages. I am wearing this now for some days and it is an unbelievable movement. So much power and so precise. Love it.

Wow....

That is unbelievable. Seriously, unbelievable. Amazing.

Can I ask what you are into it for $? 

Thank you. Since many people asked. I managed to stay below 50% of the GEN price. It is close but below and that was my goal.

Simply stunning work

AJ

Thanks AJ. Appreciate that a lot.

Amazing build. Love the attention to detail.

Sent from my droptop using telepathy.

Happy to hear that from you. :)

WOW, you guys rock!!

The larger gen DW font, the better defined hands - and of course the variable PR and the big crown do make a difference. Also interested if this set you back gen price or not, but regardless again - great work

Thank you. It is so funny how detailed we are when it comes to Rolex. But looking at the rep hands, date disc, crown, distance crown to case, ... at the 5002 there are some many differences. I will not call them flaws. I always have the feeling we are going way to far with Rolex reps. They are good already.

I'm green with envy

Sent from Mars using tapatalk

You don`t have to be. You bought my Deepsea and took it to the next level. ;)

That movement is beautiful :D

Thank you

Excellent job by all. She's a keeper!

Thank you. I hope so. Collecting and building is my hobby.

this just gave me a heart attack. well done! beautiful.

Had to laugh.. Thank you mate

Absolutely beautiful build! I love that gen movement...

Thanks a lot

Can I ask how you sourced the parts? The movement in particular? I would love to do one of these, but IWC parts seem way more scarce than Rolex.

It takes some time to source parts. You have to be lucky as well. Trust me. But Blake has some stuff as well: http://www.scotchwatch.com/

Amazing work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you

Sure thats what RWG is for.

A genuine crown fits on the rep movement. Done that before. Gen tube as well of course.

Fantastic! I will order one then. They are much nicer than the rep. No way I can compete with your build, but there will be a beautiful strap on my 5002 and gen crown, double-AR gorgeous sapphire and I'll have my watchsmith peg the power reserve at 5 days, look a bit more authentic....

Serious looking watch there, congrats on the successful build!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you. Whenever I pick up the watch again to wear it has enough power reserve and perfect time. So much fun.

Fantastic! I will order one then. They are much nicer than the rep. No way I can compete with your build, but there will be a beautiful strap on my 5002 and gen crown, double-AR gorgeous sapphire and I'll have my watchsmith peg the power reserve at 5 days, look a bit more authentic....

That is good already mate. Enjoy it!!