When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Road to perfection: THE Franken IWC Big Pilot 5002

watchfreund

I honestly tried one of these on in the Torneau store awhile back when I was buying the Rolex LV Sub-C hulk. I didn't like it then, thought it was too big. Kind of wish I'd purchased the gen IWC over the gen Rolex, but I'm reasonably happy with the rep...my doesn't have much of a power-reserve though.

How much was the gen movement?

Congratulations. What I fantastic build. No reliable watch smiths of quality available to me, and the accumulation of parts....

How can you compete with that movement? My 5 year old 5002 has served it's time.

I don't think I am even with 508 fanatic, I think I am with armanou-pascal.

Go gen. or go home when it cones to something like that for me having seen that.

• 2 weeks later...

The question is: does this make sense? Are the fonts of rep and gen date wheels really so different? Are you nit-picking enough to pay so much money and invest the time just to change a date wheel because of slight differences between the fonts - nobody but you is able to see?

Example: the 3777 (or 3717) date fonts are often told to have serifen only on gen wheels. That's in fact not true. IWC has 2 types of date wheels for the 3777, one type has a font without serfien and the other type has serifen. Nobody can tell which type is build into because I think its random and depends on the supplier or charges IWC builds in...

Fitting the gen dw on the rep movement is hard, but has been done (user bmw760 with help of modder rbj...). On the 5002 the difference is not mainly font serif but SIZE, the gen is noticably bigger.

That's what I've been noticing... I'll reach out to them and see if they can offer insights as to how it was accomplished.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...