When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

quick GMT 2 ceramic question

Patrickstew

Researched, read forums, , emails to BK, ETC seeking GMT 2 SS ceramic with correct hand stack, problem-free movement and can't find the solution. Purchased great sub from Toro and have GMT bug. BK has been extremely courteous with suggestions for an amazing sub but heart is set on gmt. He has candidly informed me he doesn't offer at present BC of movement issues, and im at a loss for finding what I want. Any insight is appreciated.

As you have found out for yourself the correct hand movement has a reputation as unreliable. The noob ceramic is pretty good out of the box however mine has added a gen bezel assembly with gen crystal and gasket. If you are good with movements it is possible to build a rep 3186 from a yuki 3135 using rolex movement parts and with some modification fit it in a BP GMT ii. The important thing to realize here is that this is very costly and about the same price as a pre-owned gmt ii.

• Like 1

As you have found out for yourself the correct hand movement has a reputation as unreliable. The noob ceramic is pretty good out of the box however mine has added a gen bezel assembly with gen crystal and gasket. If you are good with movements it is possible to build a rep 3186 from a yuki 3135 using rolex movement parts and with some modification fit it in a BP GMT ii. The important thing to realize here is that this is very costly and about the same price as a pre-owned gmt ii.

+1

There's no denying the satisfaction of doing this but you'll spend a significant amount of money

I agree, probably gonna cost a bundle to do it right, because honestly, I believe you will need gen dial, bezel/ insert and crystal as well. Not sure what the first released gen GMT ceramics are going for on the used market, but I would bet that you will have close to 3k in the rep if you do it right with the Yuki 3135 and Rolex parts, which may be a problem in itself seeing as how tight Rolex is with parts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey guys thanks for the info. Decisions decisions. One gen or 5 or 6 great reps.....? I see this new hobby becoming expensive either way. Officially have gotten the rep bug!! Thanks again for your insight. Much appreciated

If you forego the Rolex movement and just do all the other mods, you can save the money and misery of trying to find the Rolex parts and Yuki movement. Some folks cannot stand the idea of the incorrect hand stack, but honestly, it is not noticeable. Except for a few minutes twice a day and one of those are in the middle of the night!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another thing about the hand stack is that no gen owner even knows what it is or what you are talking about. They have no need to - it is what it is and it is a non-issue for them. So really, the only people even looking at the order of your hands are other rep guys who know enough about reps to see it. Quite frankly, that is a great opportunity to make a new friend!

Edited by Mendota Explorer

Just get it with the incorrect handstack but reliable movement and enjoy it. In practical terms in a Years time I noticed it twice on my GMT 16570 Explorer II - and I wear it daily, at least for a few hours and do check the 2nd timezone. It´s a non-issue, there are other things to worry about if it must be.

expl2_1240_zpsac485065.jpg

IMG_2510cr.jpg

Thanks again for the education to you all. I can't believe it took so long for me to find this amazing forum with so much information and outgoing members willing to answer a stupid question. I'm grateful for you alls insight and appreciate being a part of such a passionate group of enthusiasts.