When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

rolex daytona 6263. gen or franken.

rkdk

Some experts in these Daytonas will be around shortly, it's so hard for me to tell anything other than a Sub. If he's offering it to you dirt cheap then that could be a sign. Refs? Local sellar? Maybe meet him at a Rolex AD and have them open it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, by the way, but the seller not the watch.

Looks  ok, but what about a shot of the movement? The 7835 bracelet is probably earlier- by 1979-80, the 78350 would have probably been used. Correct end pieces for the earlier 7835 would have been 271 or 371. 78350 ends would have been 571s.

Bezel insert is original and ok. Tall coronet on the crown points to a 702 crown which is correct

The subdial hands look like replacements, as does the crystal. I'm unsure on the dial, which if not gen is very good. If I had to wager, I'd say gen.

Obviously before buying something that expensive, I would have the watch authenticated.

Edited by tomhorn

Case, dial, bezel etc. seem fine. If my memory serves me right that A in stainless was changed from flat to the design you can see on your watch around the late 70s. I don't know when they changed from "Registered Design" to "Original Rolex Design" though. I always thought that this was an early 80s thing, so your 6 million serial seems fine. I'd insist on a movement shot, no way of telling if that one is gen without having a look at it. I doubt that it isn't though since everything else seems to be original.  

Edit: I don't think the hands are service replacements, lume seems to match the dial plots. Crown is an early 703. Gen 80s Daytona imo. Don't overpay, apart from everything you read on the net, there are plenty of these around.  

• Like 1

Movement examined by Rolex expert / watchmaker for a purchase that significant is a must. Authenticator must be experienced with Rolex V72 movement, and what replica bridges and parts look for, and be prepared to dissasemble watch and look at base-plate and corresponding serials I think.

Don't get John Mayer'd

• Like 1

Movement examined by Rolex expert / watchmaker for a purchase that significant is a must. Authenticator must be experienced with Rolex V72 movement, and what replica bridges and parts look for, and be prepared to dissasemble watch and look at base-plate and corresponding serials I think.

Don't get John Mayer'd

oh yeah I almost forgot about him, clown with too much money.

Edit: I don't think the hands are service replacements, lume seems to match the dial plots. Crown is an early 703. Gen 80s Daytona imo. Don't overpay, apart from everything you read on the net, there are plenty of these around.  

I was referring to the subdial hands. Paint is very white compared to the rest of the watch (which is nicely aged), and they look a little too think and maybe too long (which could just be the pictures).

Thank you guys for all your input. Im going to have the movement verified before i do anything at all.

no John mayering for me :-)

Like it was said here before, get more than the movement verified, this is an expensive piece, above all as I said before, but the seller. Check his reputation.

I would say all gen.

Would you mind sharing the price with us?

He is asking 14.000 euros for it, because it needs the service. Service by authorized rolex dealer is around 800 eur, so im thinking its a good deal :-)

Unless it was a face to face deal I would not do it. The only way to pay for these is by bank wire and that is not the safest way. PayPal will not cover anything more than $5000.so in this case you are at the mercy of the seller. You have no recourse if the deal goes bad.