When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Something green

ozon1969

Finished my work on this custom strap. The deep green is contrasted by the white stitching. On request the inside part of the strap is anti allergic very light grey (close to white). Undeveloped my own procedure and am now able to coat the edges in any color I want.

Please do comment as I am posting to learn.

85aa71ace182dcf971a6f3291bec2d26.jpge07d42a74b24dff66284f57a07feeb43.jpg87594bf0f468f19d4745684670810922.jpg2bba990333b4b671cf3bd26093fb4164.jpg

Edited by ozon1969

Strap looks pretty good!  Getting the edge finish right is the only problem that I have when making my own straps nowadays, so I opt to leave the natural look.  Good stuff, and it's a lot of fun to make your own straps.

@jpz5142:  The line that you see is actually a cut line typically made with a 'v' notch tool to open just below the surface and help to make sure that all holes will line up perfectly while threading.  I personally do not do this with my straps and instead eye everything up carefully, so it may take me a little longer to hand stitch than others, but I like the look a bit more.  Hope that helps!

Strap looks pretty good! Getting the edge finish right is the only problem that I have when making my own straps nowadays, so I opt to leave the natural look. Good stuff, and it's a lot of fun to make your own straps.

@jpz5142: The line that you see is actually a cut line typically made with a 'v' notch tool to open just below the surface and help to make sure that all holes will line up perfectly while threading. I personally do not do this with my straps and instead eye everything up carefully, so it may take me a little longer to hand stitch than others, but I like the look a bit more. Hope that helps!

Thanks!

As you might have seen, I only sometimes do this. Main reason to create the groove is to lie the stitching deeper in order to prevent damaging it. When I like a rougher look I tend to leave the groove behind.

No problem. Lol, I forgot to mention about protecting the thread / twine from damage as well. This works especially for twine that is lighter in color or specially dyed. I tend to use heavier waxed threads in darker hues, so that doesn't bother me too much.

Unfortunately, a lot of it is gambling with sources online for the more exotic pieces (like a guy that I have sourced stingray and lizard leather from, based out of Malaysia).  Not every batch that I order is perfect, but most can be used to make some interesting pieces.  For more domestic leathers like cow, there is luckily a leather shop near me that I have been going to for many years and have a good relationship with the owner.  So, he sometimes gives me pieces and scraps that others wouldn't necessarily take interest in, or offers deals on regular squares.

I do have a few different leather etching and grooving tools, but for some reason I just like the look of the surface leather when it gets pinched by the twine near the holes.  Just a strange preference I guess.

I have been meaning to try to get up to some of the gun and military shows that are near me every once in a while to see if there are any deals on vintage military bags, be they leather or canvas to try one out.  Maybe one of these weekends I will actually go.  Also been curious to see how well an extremely broken in baseball mitt leather works.  I think that could be pretty fun to use.