When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Longines caseback removal

HaydenM

Hi All,

I recently purchased this watch off of ebay and it worked perfectly for a week and a bit but unfortunately then all of a sudden stopped. I would love to open it up and have a look at whether or not I could fix it up on the cheap.

20150423-2_zpstihfhrle.jpg

I have worked on a 1016 build so have a basic understanding on working with watches and a tool kit to match but then I can across this case back design.

20150423-3_zpsrafeo7v2.jpg

Any advice on how to remove this caseback?

Thanks in advance 

If you can't get the case back off with a rubber ball or ball of putty tack I would avoid an improper tools as they can damage the case back. When I have a case back that I can't remove I use super glue to glue a socket to the back, once the glue sets you can attach the ratchet and just twist the back off. Remember, the case back will need to be soaked in isopropyl alcohol for several minutes to remove the glue and socket. I would only do this with a stainless steel case back. 

That tool required looks similar to a 15 edge breitling tool. Size varies from corner to flat and these can be bought inexpensively from eBay. The oem casebacks are usually very tight.

Alternatively a GOOD quality Jaxa style tool will open as long as the watch head is well secured. A decent watch smith will be able to loosen it off if all else fails.

That tool required looks similar to a 15 edge breitling tool. Size varies from corner to flat and these can be bought inexpensively from eBay. The oem casebacks are usually very tight.

Alternatively a GOOD quality Jaxa style tool will open as long as the watch head is well secured. A decent watch smith will be able to loosen it off if all else fails.

The problem I have had with the current caseback remover that I have is that the tool that could grip to the sides of the dodecagon do not fit into the groove. It is certainly very tight and through a few means has not moved at all. Will give it a try when the ball arrives.