When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Clapton "Albino" Cosmograph to be auctioned!

panerai153

Just read today that the "Albino" Cosmograph that was owned by Eric Clapton is going to be offered up at auction again. According to the report I read there are only three of these in the entire world. Auction estimates are 500,000 to one million Swiss Francs. The writer believes that it will exceed that and sell for over one million. Interesting to see what it sells for.

Clapton’s exceedingly rare Rolex Reference 6263, the “Oyster Albino” Cosmograph Daytona, is part of the next Phillips auction, due to take place on May 10, 2015 in Geneva.

When these things are 10K it's like "boy it would be nice to have one of those."

When they hit 30K it's "wish I'd bought one when they were cheap."

Once they hit 100K or a million it's "what kind of complete idiot would buy that."

Nevertheless it's fun to watch the madness and so far no one who has "invested" in vintage Rolex sports models has been wrong.

When these things are 10K it's like "boy it would be nice to have one of those."

When they hit 30K it's "wish I'd bought one when they were cheap."

Once they hit 100K or a million it's "what kind of complete idiot would buy that."

Most guys I know would think "complete idiot" even at the 10K mark.  

I think this will break a million.  After that 2013 Christie's auction, it seems anything is possible.

It's also astonishing when you consider that at one time Daytona's were poor sellers and were bargain priced in the sports model line up.  It's one thing to see some G.I. bought a 1680 or 5513 at the PX in Southeast Asia for $125 compared to what it's worth today - but a Daytona??  Whew!

My kids at school are raising funds for hungry children in other countries. The charity involved can make a nutritious meal for 16p (UK). That watch could give 10,000 children a meal a day for over a year.

What a world we have created.

it is a bit sickening, isn't it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it is a bit sickening, isn't it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to mention all of the other issues that go with that, it's not just food, its the entire ecosystem. Without the funds, it's just basically a meal plan. 

• 2 weeks later...