When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Observation --- Quality Issues

pcardoza

Maybe this has been just a total coincidence, but I'm wondering if others have experienced the same issues I have.......

Most of my purchases from TD's have been newly released models.   In all cases, these have come through perfectly and worked without issues.    In several cases, I decided I wanted a model that had been around for quite a while and ordered from the TD's WEB Site (different TD's).   I nearly all of these situations, the watch has arrived with issues.

My Rollie GMT Pepsi arrived, the crown pulled right out and the hands were bent and stuck on each other.

My PO Chrono (pumpkin) took nearly 3 weeks for the TD to source (he said he went through 4 pieces to find and acceptable one) and when received the crown would not screw in properly, it would not manually wind at all.   

Both have been squared away and are now terrific pieces, but it makes me wonder.........

IMHO some of this is due to how the rep industry works... Meaning after reading thru several of the post over the years from various sources; BK, TC, PureTime etc, the industry works much differently than we on the outside would think. It seems that the "Factory" merely serves as the person comissioning the rep, ordering dials from his preferred maker, bracelets from the guy that did great work on the previous project etc... These parts are kept separately in various stashes across the city and after the initial wave of orders from the release are met and rejects are sent back what is left may very well be sufficient to build a complete watch it may not be sufficient to build a best possible rep from that "version." Meaning in the initial wave of orders it is very easy for the "watch tech" to select a good dial, hands, bracelet with good SEL fit etc but towards the end of that run (aka "version") it may be slim pickings. Also bear in mind not all of the parts of the rep are ordered in the same quantity, the dial guy might have a minimum qty of 300 but the case guy (who might be the only way to contact the bracelet guy) might have a minimum of 500 etc... this is why it is possible for different "versions" to have improvements here yet the same or new flaws elsewhere. This is of course my understanding of it...