When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Estate find! Loose hands sets. Please help identify...

meadowsweet_

So, last week I got word that there was a pretty great estate sale going on about a two hour's drive away from me.  The private home estate of a jeweler and his wife had been purchased and put up for sale.  Foolishly, I waited until later in the day to head down to the sale, and sure enough, by the time I got there much of it had been picked clean (of all the good stuff anyways: case sets, bracelets, dials, bridges, etc. all gone).  Out of the corner of my eye I spied a little box filled with the unmistakable little wax paper Rolex envelopes.  Not much left but I managed to score some gaskets, a T21 plexi and a triplock crown.  Most notably though, was a little baggie of loose hands which I felt was well worth the $40 they wanted.  These weren't in a rlx envelope, but based on the rest of the items there and sold, I figured there was a pretty great shot of them being gen hands that were at some point replaced or there waiting to be used as replacements.  I know that most of these hands are for Datejusts, but I wanted to see if anyone had any insight as to whether or not theres more than just DJ hands here. So, onto the photos:

Not in the most pristine condition, I know, but vintage hands sets are seemingly harder and harder to come by, so I figured it was worth a shot at 40 bucks.  First, the steel hands.  Hour hand is missing lume, but the two minute hands seem to have a lovely patinated lume and are in pretty good shape.  The second group is the gold hands (the steel seconds hands is extremely bent and too far gone I think).  The varying length of the minute hands especially is throwing me for a loop, not to mention the various sized openings for different movements/dials.  If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say that some of these were maybe from a woman's model as well, but this level of nuanced comparison is currently a bit out of my league experience-wise.  Accordingly, I'd love to hear what some of you all think!  I know it may be difficult to examine visually and without precise caliper measurements, but any and all help is greatly appreciated

post-70718-0-77669800-1430512300_thumb.j

post-70718-0-98351000-1430512310_thumb.j

post-70718-0-86220200-1430512402_thumb.j

post-70718-0-32192800-1430512420_thumb.j

post-70718-0-73951700-1430512435_thumb.j