When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Building a Birth year 1675

Vinguru

I'm thinking about building a rolex 1675 from around 1976 for max 1k euro. After studying the different builds here on the forum, i've come to this set-up:

Cartel 1675 watch with jubile -

http://www.pf-818.com/rlgv00121-vgmt-1675-ssjub-bluered-a2836-p-10987.html -

Extra 7836 rep band -

http://www.pf-818.com/rlbs10001-vintage-stainless-steel-folded-bracelet-16551675-p-9234.html

WSO bezel assembly

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROTATING-BEZEL-INSERT-ROLEX-OLD-GMT-BLUE-RED-1670-1675-16750-16753-16758-/170838596185?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c6c61a59

Clark plexi 25-116

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolex-Crystal-Reference-25-116-116-NEW-CLARK-/251846021646

Yuki dial and hands

http://www.yukiwatch.com/catalog/item/6380817/9894309.htm

I have a few questions:

- is this a smart set-up?

- do i need a gen crown? If so: what is the reference number?

- do i need an eta adaptor set for the yuki dial?

All your input is welcome, thanks.

I love the 1675 but I'm a little intimidated by the build. These are tough builds to get right, just because the crown guard shape is so tricky. Are you trying to build a pointed crown guard cornino, or a regular one? I only ask because those cartel crown guards are awful out of the box. It is going to take a lot of work to grind and sand them into an accurate shape for either version. I suppose you said 1976 so that means a regular 1675. I should have looked closer!

A lot of people are taking the 1655 Exp II and using that case as the starting point. You can sell the bezel, dial and hands from it to recoup some of the cost. I don't know if that cg shape is any better as a starting point, but there is something about the 1655 case that is causing people to use it as the base for a 1675.

I love the 1675 but I'm a little intimidated by the build. These are tough builds to get right, just because the crown guard shape is so tricky. Are you trying to build a pointed crown guard cornino, or a regular one? I only ask because those cartel crown guards are awful out of the box. It is going to take a lot of work to grind and sand them into an accurate shape for either version. I suppose you said 1976 so that means a regular 1675. I should have looked closer!

A lot of people are taking the 1655 Exp II and using that case as the starting point. You can sell the bezel, dial and hands from it to recoup some of the cost. I don't know if that cg shape is any better as a starting point, but there is something about the 1655 case that is causing people to use it as the base for a 1675.

That makes perfect sense, thanks. I now see that the case of the 1655 rep has a lower profile 12.5 mm (in stead of 14.5 mm) for the 1675.

I will certainly look into rolexaddicts work!

JJ (rolexaddict) was playing around with laser/metal welding to add to the cartel cg for awhile, there are some cool photos posted here or rwi outlining this work but I don't believe he offers this service currently due to issues in France with securing the required metal materials.

If going for a birth year watch, why not go gen? A 70s 1675 is still fairly "cheap" if you can use that word with vintage Rolex. Otherwise it looks as you got it covered - use the cartel 1675 base and either mod yourself or have JJ put his magic touch to it. Just remember, the gen isn't that much more expensive.

If going for a birth year watch, why not go gen? A 70s 1675 is still fairly "cheap" if you can use that word with vintage Rolex. Otherwise it looks as you got it covered - use the cartel 1675 base and either mod yourself or have JJ put his magic touch to it. Just remember, the gen isn't that much more expensive.

... You're kidding, right? Lol

@ogladio I haven't seen many gen 1675s at that price range, let alone good examples. Maybe I was looking in the wrong spots! Agreed though, I couldn't bring myself to sink over 1k into what is essentially a poor representation of a franken. There are plenty of watch models we can do this with. Unfortunately the gmt isn't one of them.

Impossible to find a gen for anywhere near 1K. Biggest problem to me is the gen 1675/16750 uses a 5.3 mm crown. They are really small. All the rep 1675's use a 6mm crown. A 1675 build with a 6mm crown, no matter how good the rest of the watch is, is and instant tell. The only way to make it work, would be to laser weld to build up the insides of the CG's then reshape it to gen specs. Only then would you have a really accurate rep.

I'm not sure you can build a really good one for 1K. If Rolex addict is indeed laser welding and reshaping cases, I would contact him for advice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was reading just yesterday over RWI that RA is now recommending getting the Cartel 1675 rather than the 1655 as a base. He states they are the same mid case :g: As was mentioned above, the spec from the base watches suggests that there is a 2mm difference.

My spec would/is

Cartel 1655

Clarks bezel assembly (Gary Clark is a gent to deal with)

Clarks crystal

Yuki dial (come back Ingod44!!)

Raffle times hands and flat caseback

Riyi bracelet

5.3mm crown (that's my opinion ;) )

Gen spec spring bars

Case mods:

Re-shape crown guards

drilled lug holes for gen spec bars (this is a hard job!)

Bevels cut on the lugs.

Some good feedback here. Really depends on how much of a "perfectionist" you are. When I first joined the forum my first build was a 16750 which is basically identical to the 1675 except a couple of minor differences. Did a lot of research and communicated with seniors members who mostly warned me of the issues with these builds. Being a noob I decided to take on the build anyways.

I used the cartel 1675 case which was sent to JJ "Rolex Addict" for case mods. RA is in France so expect some turn around time and expense for case mods.

Sourced a genuine original dial, crown and jubilee, and a genuine service crystal, and insert. Sent the dial and hands to be relumed by Cwazy.

Used the 2836 that came with the cartel rep.

Was ordered as Swiss ETA but turned out to be a clone movement. Case was stamped 1680--not 1675....... so 2 issues right from the start.

Matt did the assembly and he had issues getting the genuine crystal to fit. This took some time to sort out which means added expense for WS time and effort. Also had issues with the bezel assemble. Luckily he had a gen spec bezel that fit in his parts selection, but we do not know the source. Just to give you an idea on cost, I have about 2K and a few months time into this build.

Not being negative just trying to give you an honest idea of some obstacles you may run into and with all the mods that are needed how costs can increase.

The watch looks great on, but the crown guards and crown size will always be an issue for me. I do wear the watch in my regular rotation and for the most part no one other than people here or another "WIS" would notice the crown size as 5.3 to 6mm or the shape of the cg's. If I had to do it over again I would not have done this build. I have been looking for a genuine 1966 1675 for a long time now but just have not found the "one" I want to buy yet. For this particular model, I think only the gen will do. Too hard to replicate.

Some phone pics.

4fa73b124137349b538b45652196ff60.jpg

5f06edcaad47b129b384abb7151e9d1a.jpg

ffe0d3556c85f8dcdea93bdd0715e4cc.jpg

0e565ca42b4e9930ed861bfe9e549b92.jpg

I couldn't do a 'birth year' GMT at all :wheelchair: (even a 6542), but I did build a 1675 Cornino that would be a 'Lost My Virginity Year' 1_4_101.gif.  

I went by RolexAddict's advice. Used the cartel 1655 case. Gary Clark's bezel, insert and crystal. A genuine 5.3mm crown. Hands and caseback from Rafflestime. The dial is homemade, and is scheduled to be redone/updated later this year after a couple of other projects. 

post-16926-0-06566000-1431275941_thumb.jpost-16926-0-26478700-1431275956_thumb.j

Yes, i'm one step further with my build (still on paper!). Specs are:

- cartel 1675 as a base with jubilee

- modding by RA: standard crown guards, 2mm spring bars, clark crystal, after market correct bezel insert, relume and light fading of the bezel

I'm am currently looking for:

1. Gen 116 crystal. Does anyone have a source for me?

2. Aftermarket dial. I believe ingod is out of business (is this correct? His website is still online) otherwise i will go for the yuki 1675 dial. I believe this is the best aftermarket option at the time.

Again, all feedback and ideas are welcome!

• 2 weeks later...

@theoanast,

Against the rules to do back door sales here.  I have provided you with this information before as have others.  If you want to sell a watch or parts, please follow the forum rules and develop a correct sales post.  I have nothing against you, but the rules are here to protect everyone so please follow them.