When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Using a 2893-2 in a case for a 2824?

Guest REPPIN

Guest REPPIN

Hey guys, 

Im going a GMT project, and I was wondering if you guys knew if I could use an ETA 2893-2 GMT movement in place of the asian 2824 modified GMT POS thats in there now. 

I know the 2893 is thinner, but will it still work?

Case is a cartel 1675. 

Good question. I have a 2893 as well to replace a2836 in my Franken GMT. Did some research and have seen some builds with the 2893 but not much discussion on how it was done.

Sent from my droptop using telepathy

I put one in a GMTIIC with no problems at all other than having to swap out the gears to the H5 gear set. The watch originally came with a CHS 2836-2 I believe. I also had a 2892-2 in a franken DJ with a Stilty ring with no problems there.

Both movements are 11.5 ligne, so fitting the case should not be an issue at all. One problem will be lining up the stem height, which can be done using a dial spacer.  But then the big problem will be the GMT hand set up. As was stated, a taller pinion is necessary. But getting all 4 hands to mount and sit correctly will be a challenge. I've done it on a cartel case that came with an Asian 2836, so I think it is doable. But it will take patience, and trial and error to get it lined up.