When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Latest arrival... 16800... transitional goodness...

projectologist

Interesting history with the 16800. Introduced around 1979 with the following changes to the 1680

• first Sub to get a sapphire crystal
• first Sub to get the 3035 movement and quick-set date
• went from a 660' depth rating to 1000'
• first Sub to get the 120 click uni-bezel
• Tritium insert pearl with surround

For the first couple of years, Rolex continued to use the matte dial and open lume. In 1983/4 they went with the gloss dial and lume with metal surrounds. These new gloss dials had problems with cracking aka spider dials.

Thanks to fellow member and Rolex aficionado HotDuck for pointing me in the direction of the 16800 after hearing about my frustration trying to find a good deal on an all original 1680.

16800b.jpg

Insert pearl and hands are just starting to develop some patina. No more glow.

16800a.jpg

Love Love the 16800.  It is the most undervalued Rolex, a perfect blend of vintage and modern (if you get the matte dial version)

My first Submariner was a 16800, 7.8 mil serial. with a matte dial and I paid 4k for it... insane.

I ended up with a 1680 because I wanted a Plexi sub, but I miss my 16800 dearly.    

Love Love the 16800.  It is the most undervalued Rolex, a perfect blend of vintage and modern (if you get the matte dial version)

My first Submariner was a 16800, 7.8 mil serial. with a matte dial and I paid 4k for it... insane.

I ended up with a 1680 because I wanted a Plexi sub, but I miss my 16800 dearly.    

Definitely undervalued, but prices are going up on nice all original examples.

• 5 weeks later...

Verrrry nice, Proj. I was just salivating over one on Watchrecon, thought it'd be wonderful to build a franken example, jumped onto the rep forum searches and only to stumble across this thread. Looks like I'm following in your footsteps after that 16750! Lol

Would love one of these subs with the aged tritium/wg dials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk