When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Teaching people how to read the time:

astonjenks

I have commeced a mission to help people from all walks of life to be able to read the time from a proper watch, not an iphone or apple watch, a real watch with a movement created by artisans from lessons learnt over the last several hundred years.

Gentlemen, I give you the easy to read, simple to use watch to enable everyone to quickly and easily tell the time :-)

PS it's 5.57 :-)

post-48021-0-82600300-1432143576_thumb.j

post-48021-0-50815600-1432143592_thumb.j

Thats what I was thinking, does the hour hand actually jump top the six after the five?  I know, probably a stupid question lol

Crazy watch.

• Like 1

Thats mental, what movement are in these?  I'm guessing the rep won't do this?

rep movement does the exact same thing

It's amazing what can be done with the right design and construction.  It looks like it is completely random, but the way that the hour pinion is set up (this is a very overly simplified explanation on my part), it forces a 5 space jump ahead to the correct marking. It's spaced just enough that the design seems to be more magical than it is, but that is what makes it fun, right?

A buddy of mine comes into the clock shop where I work every so often and wears either this (Gen) or his old Gen Speedmaster.  The Crazy Hours always gets more attention from people.

Edited by Uberscreamer

Never noticed before but the hours are in a pattern of +5 so the movement only needs to jump the hour hand forward the same increment every time. Makes it easier for the movement maker...

Ha, nevermind. This is what happens when you don't refresh the page before posting after not looking at the forum all day... :bangin:

They are great watches and by all accounts close to gen. I have a Long Island that I'm putting a gen dial into. Maybe I'll send to Micky Man of SSTEEL. They do attract a lot of interest for a watch, even my wife likes them - which is why she errrrr borrowed by mid size curvex 12 months ago and I've not seen it since.

Damn you AJ, I just may have to add one of these to my collection, I love watches that are different.  I was always under the impression that they displayed the time normally, and it was just the dial that was crazy hours.

Be careful Les there are differnet sizes!

On your new watch one measures the middle and the end of the dial. Member Elloello here in the UK has some dials and gets others although have a look at yours first as its a great dial that I carefully selected :-)

AJ

At first I really didn't like these FM watches, it's just not my cup of tea. I think the dial was crazy (hence the name of the watch Crazy Hours) And I thought the hands didn't spring back and forth but after seeing that. That is really cool.. :D

From personal experience, the A21J movement used in these crazy hours are not the most reliable. The watch however is almost 1:1 in appearance, especially with the gen dial. This is a very lovely piece. I just hope that the movement lasts waaay longer for you than it did for me. :(

Sent from Mars using tapatalk

From personal experience, the A21J movement used in these crazy hours are not the most reliable. The watch however is almost 1:1 in appearance, especially with the gen dial. This is a very lovely piece. I just hope that the movement lasts waaay longer for you than it did for me. :(

I got two of these watches just so I have a backup movement...BTW did anyone have their crazy hour movement in for service?

Should need service just like any other movement

I got two of these watches just so I have a backup movement...BTW did anyone have their crazy hour movement in for service?

Should need service just like any other movement

I had a nice crazy hours and like my friend AJ, it has a gen dial and also gen straps. I went through the hassle of swapping new movements for it, 3 in total, after the first two died on me and then the third and last one finally gave up it's ghost too after about a year. The watch is now at the bottom of my drawer, nibbled upon by assorted bugs and barraged by scornful neglect.

I dream of the day where a more reliable rep crazy hours movement can be produced. I concede that these watches, like the one AJ is wearing, are one of the most beautiful productions in the rep world.

It is a bittersweet beauty, because like the first blossom of spring, the beauty is fragile and delicate...

I just hope that AJ and the rest of the guys who own these beauties have more fortuitous experiences than me. My crazy hours watch remains a love-hate memory.

I have heard it has a Sea-Gull ST6 (ST6891) automatic movement

P2060081.JPG

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f72/just-arrived-minorva-crazy-hours-359435.html

145.jpg

2. There is also a totally unrelated manuel type ST6890 jump hour - manual

se link:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f72/jumping-crazy-hour-movement-id-%5B-%5D-308689.html

144.jpg

Edited by gran

With the clever wheel that makes the 5 hr leap the movement should be very serviceable (time will tell, no pun intended) and once I have my new matching blue gator on I will keep you posted on the longevity of this watch. It was I believe serviced when the gen dial was fitted and has a really quiet, almost silent rotor.

Legend, send me your FMCH and see if we can get her working properly?

Regards

AJ

With the clever wheel that makes the 5 hr leap the movement should be very serviceable (time will tell, no pun intended) and once I have my new matching blue gator on I will keep you posted on the longevity of this watch. It was I believe serviced when the gen dial was fitted and has a really quiet, almost silent rotor.

Legend, send me your FMCH and see if we can get her working properly?

Regards

AJ

AJ

Thank you very kindly for that offer, and kudos to you for once again offering to help me. I appreciate it very much. I have no doubt that you or your watchmaker could get the movement sorted out for me, but my problem is movement reliability. I'm just concerned that it'll break down on me yet again after x months.

That blazing blue crazy hours in your pic is easily the best I've seen to date. Amazing details accuracy too! I wish that it'll last a long time with you and that you'll find in it a beautiful wrist companion. :)