When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Caseback Requiring the power of Thor!

Recently picked up a gold Rolex Daytona Rep. However, after about a week, there's a notible clunking when you move the watch around, so I assume something has come loose at some stage.

I tried rolling up a ball of tape and opening that way. I bought a sticky bouncy rubber ball off ebay which is apparently a great tool for opening the backs of watches. It won't even budge. I tried WD40, and dipping it in boiling water to try and warp the metal slightly.

Nothing works.

Any advice guys? Or should I give up and live with the noise?

Or  try again to use the duct tape method and push harder.

I had a Rolex case that was real hard to get loose. I ended up finding a socket, as in from a set of socket wrench tools, that fit the knurled portion of the Rolex case back and taped the end with duct tape (It was a 28mm socket) and used it to loosen the case back. The socket acted like a handle and gave me something to apply more downward force while turning.

I recommend this because it has worked for me on Oyster casebacks, gen and rep. you need super glue, isopropyl alcohol, a socket and a ratchet. glue the socket head to the caseback with the super glue, attach the ratchet and simply remove the caseback. Once the caseback is off, soak it in isopropyl for several minutes (15-30) to remove the socket head and then wipe the remaining super glue off (it will have turned to a gel from the alcohol soak.

This absolutely works and it works everytime and the glue will absolutely come off with enough soaking in alcohol. Good luck

• Like 2

Some creative solutions that are arguably fraught with peril. Like my dad always said, use the right tool for the job.

In this case, you should get a proper 29.5mm oyster tool and a case holder properly clamped to a workbench.

This is a set I keep at the office:

3da01b85f61b5b61e91e6c5eb8f0f429.jpg

I recommend this because it has worked for me on Oyster casebacks, gen and rep. you need super glue, isopropyl alcohol, a socket and a ratchet. glue the socket head to the caseback with the super glue, attach the ratchet and simply remove the caseback. Once the caseback is off, soak it in isopropyl for several minutes (15-30) to remove the socket head and then wipe the remaining super glue off (it will have turned to a gel from the alcohol soak.

This absolutely works and it works everytime and the glue will absolutely come off with enough soaking in alcohol. Good luck

Sounds very clever to me. I always am impressed with these "think out of the box" creative solutions.

Sent from Mars using tapatalk

I would try the sticky tape/socket head first then the superglued nut. My question, if you don't have any tools and  you don't know what opener to use on a Rolex caseback, what are you going to do when you get the caseback off?  :g: :If I were you, and you weren't prepared to fix what's come loose, I would take or send it to someone who can fix the problem once the caseback is removed. Best case scenario, you get it off easily, worse,case scenario, you bugger up your caseback and still don't have the problem solved.  :fool:

Much better than the duct tape or the rollerball: enter the kitchen (or supermarket) and get one of those yellow, blue or pink thick rubbergloves. Apply constant pressure several times until it moves - specially good for Panerai.

Take 2: from Amazon or ebay get a set of Huaxing caseback openers, these cost $17-$23 usd and work the same as the Bergeon ones, simple easy and best way to watertighten when closing the case again. Since having one of these no Rolex-case was an issue anymore.

$_35.JPG?set_id=880000500F

• Like 2

I had a similar issue a few years ago with a vintage Daytona I received. I had the proper tools, could not do it. I had sent it to The Zigmeister who could not do it! (yes, that The Zigmeister!) I was getting worried.

I decided to stop at a local jeweler. I explained I was buying this watch but wanted to verify what was inside. He must have had Thor in the backroom because it took him 10 seconds to pop it open! I was very pleased when I saw a beautiful V72 under the hood!!!

• Like 1

Much better than the duct tape or the rollerball: enter the kitchen (or supermarket) and get one of those yellow, blue or pink thick rubbergloves. Apply constant pressure several times until it moves - specially good for Panerai.

Take 2: from Amazon or ebay get a set of Huaxing caseback openers, these cost $17-$23 usd and work the same as the Bergeon ones, simple easy and best way to watertighten when closing the case again. Since having one of these no Rolex-case was an issue anymore.

$_35.JPG?set_id=880000500F

I feel silly asking this because I'm normally such a great detective with Google, but I cannot find these on Amazon's mobile site. Nothing comes up for Huaxing and only the wrenches or sticky balls are appearing. Do you have a link by any chance? No worries if not. I can try once I'm at my computer later this afternoon. I hate the mobile site... Edited by Mendota Explorer

I feel silly asking this because I'm normally such a great detective with Google, but I cannot find these on Amazon's mobile site. Nothing comes up for Huaxing and only the wrenches or sticky balls are appearing. Do you have a link by any chance? No worries if not. I can try once I'm at my computer later this afternoon. I hate the mobile site...

Hi, I bought this from victoryduanshop on ebay.uk for GBP 9,98 + shipping, here is another one for £ 15,61 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5537-Watch-Back-Case-Opener-Closer-Remover-For-Rolex-Watch-Repair-Tool-Kit-/121603912553?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c50287369