When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Opinions on 'Gold' AP durability

Hello Fellow RWGers,

I was thinking of getting a Gold Classic Royal Oak- since we all know the Gold is not real, I wanted to ask whether anyone has experience in this? Does the Gold fade quickly? And, in what cases does the gold fade?

Looking forward to your experiences and answers.

Cheers

post-49566-0-60315200-1432459946_thumb.j

First and foremost, great choice, you have eloquent taste in my opinion! :)

The rose gold plating is real gold actually, but I think what you meant is that it is a layer of plating as opposed to a solid case construction.

I have in my possession RG plated ROOs for 2-3 years now, and my experience is that the fading is minimal, if not non existent. 

In fact, I have just ordered a rose gold 15400, and am anticipating its arrival. 

If you like the watch, buy with confidence! The plating on the watch will last long enough. ;)

I don't have any experience in this, but I have just ordered a RG 15400 TF factory model with miyota movement. I've specifically asked for it in the black leather and can't wait for it to come.

Just awaiting the QC pics but hope to have it by the end of next week. Will let you know what it's like.

I can't speak for the RO, but I have a RG Diver as well as a RG ROO, both are holding up fine, although they are definitely not everyday users, they both get worn fairly frequently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

... holding up fine, always depends on the wearing time. For daily wear after 6 months @ the crown and case back it might  fade, but again some cases are claimed to be RG "DLC" plated, so these should ho;ld up much longer! The best option in the past has been RG-ceramic as used on some long ago HBBs... I had/have such and after 3 years daily wear all is still good....

My experience in goldplated watches: the plating of chinese watches is 3 - 5 microns. A good plating is 20 microns (used to Breitling for little parts and to Cartier for Must on silver  base)

The problems are the  acidity of the skin that decoloured  the crown and the parts in contact with skin. And the rubbing, of course

For good durability

1) does not always wear the watch
2) Do not wear when it's very hot  and you sweating  a lot
3) Wash with mild soap for childrens and water  and not to rub dry, but dab.....
4) after 10 times you wear it, lightly wipe with a cloth for gold ( you buy it to a  jeweler)

In my experience its very very thin plating, I tried to brush some damage caused by a strap change, which resulted in the plating to come off, thus resulting in me having to buy a new mid-case  :bangin: