When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Yuki to 3185 conversion

misiekped

Just got mine back today from misielkped, exactly the same specs as m1ars00's GMT.

This isn't a cheap build, but it's a beautiful watch, and one that you can wear anywhere and not worry about having to walk around with your left hand in your pocket!!

There are two guys on this forum that to me are as good as it gets when it comes to building Rolex frankens, Mymanmatt if you are looking for a Datejust or DayDate and misielkped if you want the best GMTIIC you can find. We are blessed and lucky to have those guys here in the USA for Rolex work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I mentioned this over on RG but I'll say it here, too. I think the first step is to get a gen Rolex in the watchbox. For not much more than this build, you can get a used Exp II 16570 which has a 3185 under the hood. Or even a vintage date or Datejust. It provides longevity and it can be an heirloom.

Then, I think this build is a fantastic addition. This is literally a genken or genstein. The only 3 aftermarket parts are the case, bracelet, and movement. If you put it on a custom leather strap or even use the rep Oyster, you can keep the cost down to a fraction of a used gen price. You can even sell the unused rep parts to reduce the overall cost further. Also, if you ever want to sell you can sell off the gen parts for what you paid. The modded movement has value, too. No brainer at that point!

I think I would totally do this once I already have a gen in the box.

Great work, guys!

There are basically two ways to do this, the long term and short term. If you chose the long term like I did, you start off with the gen bezel/ insert then later you replace the Crystal, then the dial and finally you add the yuki movement, converted by misielkped with gen parts and a gen crown. My process took over 5 years, back then the prices were not as bad, also you have some recovery time between purchases of parts. Still expensive, but not all at once. The second method is buy the noob watch, and find all the parts, over a short time span. More expensive, but you get to the final stage a lot quicker. It all depends on your resources, and the depth of your wallet. I wore mine a lot over those few years, totally enjoyed it, but the ICHS movement was a big deal to me. To most, it was not noticeable, but during those times twice a day, when the hour hand was traveling over the GMT hand, it was a sure tell from arms length or further every day. Everyone who owns a genuine Master II or a IIC Would know that on their watch, the hour hand never crossed the GMT hand as it was below the GMT hand.

We are probably a little crazy, as I have only seen one other Rolex GMT around here, in the past 20+ years and that was a two tone "root beer" with the nipple dial. It belonged to one of my friends, and orthopedic surgeon. We compared my gen 16750 to his, but he left town about the time I got my IIC, so he never saw it. Tons of Subs, DJ's and DD's, but the GMT never was popular, at least out here in the sticks!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guys, I have one of the original Noob GMTIICs from late 2008. It is the real V2. Would this case be a good contender for this franken transformation, or is the current case better? I have no idea if there is any difference.

I've been wearing this watch all of this time as is, but now that this super franken is a possibility I'm very intrigued. It would be very convenient since I already own the watch.

Guys, I have one of the original Noob GMTIICs from late 2008. It is the real V2. Would this case be a good contender for this franken transformation, or is the current case better? I have no idea if there is any difference.

I've been wearing this watch all of this time as is, but now that this super franken is a possibility I'm very intrigued. It would be very convenient since I already own the watch.

Idk my man. You should ask misiekped or vac. They'll know for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Idk my man. You should ask misiekped or vac. They'll know for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

So I did and he reminded me of something important. My rehaut engravings are misaligned. Way back in the day, Noob git a lot of things right, but they couldn't get the rehaut engravings to line up properly at 9:00. They are perfect almost all the way around the watch but go out of alignment for 5 ticks leading up to the 9:00 marker.

There's no way I'm spending that kind of money with an issue like that. I completely forgot about it.

• 5 years later...