When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Crystal for BP Fifty Fathoms help

panerai153

Did something really stupid. We are on vacation and brought several watches with me, had each in a nice pouch for traveling. Well, over the past few days after wearing one I put it back in the wall safe, but not in the pouch. Of course car keys, etc got put in there as well. Wore my RG BP this morning, and sure enough, a nice scratch on the Crystal from 6 diagonally toward 3.

My question is this Crystal really sapphire? I wouldn't't think sapphire would scratch like that? If it is, any idea as to were I can get a Crystal to replace this one?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh sorry to hear but stuff like that happens. So can you really feel the scratch with your finger nails or is it just the AR coating that is scratched. I would try your TD and ask him for a replacement xtal. Should not be too big of a deal to exchange it :) Hope you can solve it soon.

^^^ im with him.

i think its prob the AR coating unless its pretty deep or your keys have diamond tips..

if its just the AR, you can buff out the rest of the AR and have a clean looking crystal.

as for replacing, you could try contacting a TD. 

ryan at intime was always helpful if i needed parts.

Bought this one M2M, so no idea who the dealer is. I was inaccurate in my initial description, goes from over the top of the 6 toward 11. I think this is a scratch in the AR, one of the hazards of double AR. Someone on another forum suggested taping the watch off and removing the AR with Cape Cod Cloth, but getting it all off is a chore, and if you don't get it all, then it really looks like crap! I'll cast about and see if I can find a crystal or maybe someone who can redo the AR on this one.

Anyone get a lead on a crystal, give me a shout.

Thanks

7918d30b993e039b7e676a25dbdd4294.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tough break on that P153, can't help on rep parts if a dealer won't help other than to suggest the m2m section. Maybe somebody will have one posted with a crapped out movement for cheap...

If you're going to remove AR coating from sapphire I'd recommend using 400-800 grit sandpaper over anything else. I've used it before and with little effort I have gotten really good results.

I do on't know, I'm wondering if this is really sapphire or something softer. Anyway, I tried the eraser trick someone suggested on RWI, DIDN't work, so the only alternative is to try to find a watch with problems, or have this Crystal removed and maybe send it to someone to get polished and re AR'ed. Right now, I'll just live with it.