When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1956 6538 Build

droptopman

First of all, thank you for tolerating the numerous posts regarding this build. The whole build process is detailed here http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/176345-6538-build-progress-movement-discussion/

When I joined the forum, I always thought certain vintage Rolex models were out of my price range. I have been wearing a Rolex since 1987, but just bought a new one every few years and traded in the old one. I found this place doing research for a new Rolex; this was near the end of 2013. So initially I was just looking for information about the new models and stumbled on this forum and figured I could try out some rep models for minimal cost and figure out which gen I would buy. So over a few months I tried about every modern Rolex I liked the looks of—found out I really do not care much for modern Rolex’s.
One thing happened that I did not expect, I became part of the community and started participating in discussions and became friends with some of the members here. I really had no idea that I was diving into a new “full time” hobby. As time went on I became more fascinated with the vintage models that members were building and displaying. This led to a few of my own vintage builds. Made some mistakes and had many learning experiences but have been mostly happy with the results.

My wife notices how much peace and joy I get from being part of this community and the hobby and actually encourages the “watch thing” as long as I do not go into details about builds as that puts her to sleep. She thinks it is funny that I am a WIS…

No one ever really notices my watches. About once of year I run into another WIS and talk watches but really as most of you know this hobby is for yourself and these communities.

One of the models that really grabbed my attention was the 6538 Big Crown Submariner, always thought to be too expensive for me to ever afford. Mainly I am talking about Nanuq’s, CC’s and more recently Dbane’s builds.
My first real reading as a kid was Ian Fleming’s Bond series and 007 and his 6538 have been favorites of mine for a very long time. I tend to like watches that are simple with no dates and minimal text/distractions. So I did some research and figured out to do one right it would take some knowledge, a lot of help, and it could easily exceed the cost of a nice gen Rolex. Being that I had never worn one, I decided to start with a more conservative approach and bought a nice modified HR 6538 to see how she felt and looked on the wrist. I was pretty much hooked from there. Right away I started doing more research and developed some connections with some of the great members here who had completed these builds.

Developed a build plan and a spread sheet to track costs, and then started sourcing parts. Dbane helped throughout this process as for the most part I still an unsure at times of the authenticity of parts and what part is correct for what model. I am learning but always good to have another opinion. It took a while to source all the parts…
Dbane is really responsible for putting this together. He has helped me throughout this project. He did the case shaping, the beautiful bevels, lumed the hands, had the movement serviced and did the complete assembly. He is an amazingly skilled and intelligent person who seems to take great pride in whatever he does whether it is building watches or handmade speakers. I have nicknamed him the “case whisperer”. Thank you my friend!

Thanks to CC33 and Nanuq who shared their knowledge and experience freely and whose builds were initially responsible for the inspiration.

This project was only possible because this forum exists.

Specs:
Minh Quy case set (mid case, bezel, case back) shaped by dbane and custom engraved by NeckyZips—serial number is period correct but has significant value to me.
Genuine spec real gilt dial—hand produced by the nameless one
Classic Watch Parts hands lumed by dbane
Genuine cal 1030 movement fully serviced
Genuine NOS 8mm crown, tube and stem
Genuine T-17 dome plexi
Genuine MKII long 5 insert.
Genuine 7206 bracelet restored by Classic Watch Parts .

Thank you so much for being here and for all the help on this project. I really find much enjoyment spending time and sharing with you.
This is really the culmination of all the years of collecting watches and my time here so far. Needless to say, I am very happy with the way she turned out. The dial and hands reflect light like no watch I have had. Truly a work of art.

I think Mr. Bond would approve.

Pics coming from my phone:

0f002d46ec510e112f47ca598bfd7e02.jpg

ab0ee39308512aabd828aa457a000c5a.jpg

c229da83bf7c6ba89cb7f8c6298e6257.jpg

5cf2c3273dac0ba42f9ca9e067710ce4.jpg

9a51fab4339fcd8bb1af7711db1dbc5e.jpg

a24c45109d1ce854c9fd3ad0e12da697.jpg

4174b8c4ed8f96ee58c525e7e1053beb.jpg

07e827b4b25a23172b72f966a798a81d.jpg

9c5435bc60be840d7306846bf4246d51.jpg

dcda5c1e31660a561f39b30214234016.jpg

• Like 12

First off, you used the word "tolerating" in your opening sentence.  My friend, we are all honored and blessed to be right there experiencing this masterpiece along side you.  Seriously, reading all of the updates and seeing the pics of the various parts, reading about the process you went through to source them, and watching this all come together was very exciting for me and everyone else, I'm sure.  I got a chance to live vicariously through you, and this really helps define the goal I have for my own grail.

If my business were back to where it was pre-recession, I guaranty you I would have taken on this very same project.  Without a doubt, this is on my grail list and I know for a fact I am going to do this at some point. I just wish it was now.  :)

Enjoy this beauty and please, please, please keep sharing pics of it.  I will never grow tired of seeing this.  :clap2:

• Like 3

Hey! That looks familiar!

Since you and I first met when I worked on your 5513, you have been nothing but patient and understanding. With any high end project that starts from the ground up, things just don't go smoothly. Something always comes up that further delays the project. While frustrating, overcoming these challenges/obstacles is an opportunity to learn something new. An example was my need to experiment with no less that 40 mixtures of substances to come up with the appropriate texture and color of the no-glow lume to match that of the dial. Not an easy task.

For anyone considering builds like this, you should be prepared that there will be hiccups, and your budget for the build may increase beyond what you might think is reasonable. Hopefully in the end, it's worth it. So leave a buffer.

It has been a pleasure working with you and I consider you a dear friend. Wear her in good health.

We expect a nice wrist shot at the SeaHawks season opener!

• Like 6

Wowwwwwww what an amazing result! That's one to be very very proud of.

It's funny, but my whole collection is gen vintages and since I did the Gonzo it's the only one that gets any wrist time. There's just something about a Big Crown, and you knocked this one outta the park! Well done.

• Like 2

Gentleman,

Thank you very much for all the kind words.

With most projects, after you study it a bit you find things that you would do different or would like to change.  Really cannot find anything on this one that I would do differently.  Dbanes work on the hands is really amazing.  When viewed in person, they have that subtle blackening that occurs with age and he managed to get the color and texture to match the dial perfectly.  I am still in awe of his work.  Cannot overstate my thanks to him.  We had much fun working on this project.    

This has been a truly rewarding process.  Learned a lot about vintage Rolex and vintage Rolex parts and in the end this is the coolest watch I have ever owned.  I know it is material and we should not cherish material possessions, but when going through the process of building it (even though I did not do the work) there is some weird emotional connection that lifts it from its physical state to something else.         

I'm not sure what to say that hasn't already been said. Thank you for sharing this whole process along the way. I found it extremely interesting to see what goes into putting together one of these super-franken big crown builds. Your end result is a watch to cherish and pass down when you're finished with it.

That is a beautiful watch, probably in the top three that I have seen in all these years on the forum.

What is also rewarding is to see a fellow watch lover come on here, and really grow, flourish and become a real knowledgable contributor.

Top notch projects are not for the faint of heart, and are often fraught with setbacks, but boy, when you finally get it together, you really have something to be proud of.

I used to tell my kids when they were growing up, "The trail to the top of the mountain is always steep and rocky. There are many side trails that are easy, but they go nowhere.take the steep, hard, rocky trail, because when you get to the top you can't beat the view" My friend, you are on the top of the mountain looking down at all of us!!

• Like 3