When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM318 or PAM247 as first Panerai reps - Thoughts?

phwtan

Hi,

I've been looking to get a Panerai and have been researching for a while.

I've been looking ideally in the luminor range with the second hand at 9, with no date, with manual wind.

I'm after a super-rep and was quite keen on the noob PAM111 v3 with asian movt with incabloc mod after doing some reading.

But after some additional reading, decided that that there would be several tells on the glassback movement as I can't imagine a rep movement would be finished anywhere as nicely as a gen and that all it would take is some misprinted colour printing of the brand, for example, to give it away, in addition to issues with the swan neck, etc.

So then I decided that a covered case back would be the way to go, so I pored through ALE's PAM reference guide and given my criteria above, managed to find 2 models that fit my criteria:

PAM 318 (N factory)

PAM 247 (H factory)

What are your thoughts on these 2 models?

Anybody have one of these, and if so, how do you rate it?

What are the major and minor tells?

Are there any other luminor super reps out there I should be considering?

Thanks!

I would stick with the PAM 111 v3 for a first Panerai rep, it is one on the best out of the box Panerai reps you can find.

Recently I have bought my second PAM 111 v3 which was modded, and is a bit closer to gen. I am really happy with it because it is an amazing watch, but my straps gets the most compliments.

post-51669-0-36120100-1433740059_thumb.j

Dochere2 did the following mods:

Genuine Y Incabloc installed

Cannon Pinion has been flattened and polished

Gold plated Hour Wheel

Tinted Jewels to match gen Incabloc Cap Jewel

Re-brushed Ratchet & Crown Wheels

Polished bevel on the Ratchet & Crown Wheels

Brushed Pallet Bridge

Micrometric Screw mod

Reshaped Swan Neck

Movement has been fully cleaned, oiled, seals lubed and regulated

Other Mods:

The Crown has been polished quite a bit and looks great, much more gen like (now a 2 step process, awesome results)

The Watch Case has been 3 stage buffed and looks better than factory new

The Crown Guard has been worked a bit, it snaps extremely tight, edges lightly chamfered, CG Pin flattened and edge ever so slightly beveled, polished & slightly recessed, roller polished

Watch was pressure tested to 5 Bar

post-51669-0-68005200-1433739295_thumb.j

post-51669-0-66730200-1433739305_thumb.j

post-51669-0-71249400-1433739315_thumb.j

And finally, a gen for comparison.

post-51669-0-39797100-1433739328_thumb.j

Thanks for the advice! I was looking at Toro's stock for the 318 and 247, but in recent days, have started to lean towards either a 005 noob or 111 noob v3.

The dial of the 111 looks amazingly accurate, but the glassback would be a tell, even with the incabloc mod.

Netniet, your mods look fantastic! Was it expensive to get it all done, if you don't mind me asking?

The 005 looks great too, but I've read that the sausage lume can look quite different from a gen.

Any experience between those two?

• 2 months later...

Go for a NOOB 005 or 000. You can't go wrong. Just make sure to get a different strap. Maybe a nice dirk or Mr Hanz or a gen strap and KAPOW!! You're in business with a watch you will never get tired of. I've owned both as gen and as rep. The rep is better!!! Because it cost nothing to replace. Only thing is don't go swimming with the rep. Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3960d66fd48443064bc89acfb064aeee.jpg

And here is a California w/ Mr Hanz strap. One of my favs

Personally, I love the 247, that would be my vote... closed CB, same dial as the 111, no rollerball CG, limited production.

As mentioned above though, you really can't go wrong these days with what have been mentioned, the 005 and 111 especially.  Might as well get them all! :)