When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1675 GMT project complete

dbane883

Well, after a few months, I would have to say that my 1675 GMT is almost complete.

It might sound a bit crazy but this build started off with just the insert.   Originally owned by our very own cc33, the insert was sold as part of a rep 1675 build that he had in his possession.  I had to own it so I bought the entire package and parcelled off pretty much everything.  It was a pain, but if it was easy, everyone would do it right?

While the rep case was ok, I knew in the long run, I would never be satisfied with it.  There is no rep on the market that I know of that can capture the elegant, slim lines of a 1675 case.   So I took the plunge and purchased a claimed, unpolished 1675 from ~1967.  Bevels are still clearly seen..giddyup.    From there, the 1575 GMT movement is usually the next hardest thing to find and just my luck, miskiped happened to have one.    Very fortuitous.  

Next came the dial.. I really couldn't settle for anything less than a MKI matte dial that would be period correct.  After some exhaustive searching and finding several blemished/damaged dials, I finally settled on a set that is in near pristine condition.   Kept in a safe for over 15 years from a collector, the dial had developed a rich patina.  Because the matching hands were stored separately, they too developed patina but at varying rates due to the type of packaging they were stored in.  As you may or may not know, patina develops in darkness, not in sunlight.  I suspect humidity also plays a factor which can be affected if its a wax envelope or paper.  And patina is reversible; so I imagine through daily wear, the patina of the hands and dial will even out over time as the lume markers lighten up.. but I quite like it the way it is.  What do you think?

There was a slight issue with the datewheel, but miskiped addressed it immediately and even found the correct "hook 7" datewheel that is period correct.  While in his shop, he also replaced the crystal with a NOS 116 in his possession.

One small thing I will change is the retaining ring.  The mid-case originally came with a T116 installed (that was replaced) but the retaining ring appears to be aftermarket.  I have a NOS retaining ring on the way and will swap it when it arrives.  Still contemplating putting on a no-cyclops T38, but i think that can wait.

Bracelet is a genuine 7836 folded oyster that has a finicky clasp that will soon be replaced.

Special thanks (in no particular order), for the project completion goes to cc33, lionsandtigers, miskiped, and droptopman.

If you want specs... all parts are genuine Rolex except for the retaining ring.

IMG_7569_zpseuv7twcm.jpg

IMG_7570_zpssnveinjr.jpg

IMG_7571_zpsgif7hm2r.jpg

IMG_7572_zpsoie7pyuo.jpg

IMG_7573_zpsho5t4x68.jpg

IMG_7574_zpscvrgf3i3.jpg

IMG_7575_zpsdx8tzqfp.jpg

IMG_7576_zpse1kwoers.jpg

IMG_7577_zpsm79r0ij1.jpg

• Like 1

Love the patina on the MK1 long E dial.

Love the hands, insert and the case is indeed slimmer than the 1680.

There is no better feeling than building a gen Rolex part by part.

Another awesome project man.
Congratz 

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but ... Judging by the picture, that retaining ring is not gen.  Sorry,, Nice Try

Beautiful, looks great. I have the parts for one of these... then bought a very reasonable gen with server hands and dial but with a bent retaining ring... I'm still trying to find replacements for these parts... where did you find the NOS retaining ring?

I keep coming back to this and I can't get over how fat those fonts are on that insert....

Do you know if there are any MK designations for these Fat Font Pepsi inserts similar to the MK0 MK1 MK2 MK3 Fat Font designations assigned to diver inserts?