When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

You Do Not Have To Live With The 7750 Whirrrr.

flavor flav

after i read the post about the 7750 rotor noise i figured i'd share my secret :D every 7750 i have the bearing is noisy noisy noisy gen or rep especially asian models. the simple cure is use a high temperature axle grease a tiny dab packed in the bearing makes it completely silent and winds just the same. i've done this for years and the grease always has stayed put and never leaked out into the movements. just be sure to use high tempereture grease and only a tiny bit untill it's silent. i can't see any reason it can cause harm as long as it stays put. the rotor is so heavy on these it makes no difference in rotating with the grease just not audible anymore and won't "freewheel" at 50,000 rpms like before and start vibrating the watch on your wrist:P

try it......you will not be dissapionted :bounce:

Wow... this is really tempting... and scary... not that I don't believe you but... well you can understand why it's scary I am sure ;P

No offense but I would like to hear what The Zigmeister has to say about this... it seems

if you are worried try it on an asian 7750 that you do not wear much. i understand why it's scary! it works and has caused no problems at all for three years in some. still no noise, i pulled one apart to check everything inside out before i posted my tip. grease still in the bearing...no where else. high temperature grease is designed to stick in wheel bearings for many many years so no worries about it "dripping" just use a tiny bit at a time untill it's silent :D

after i read the post about the 7750 rotor noise i figured i'd share my secret :D every 7750 i have the bearing is noisy noisy noisy gen or rep especially asian models. the simple cure is use a high temperature axle grease a tiny dab packed in the bearing makes it completely silent and winds just the same. i've done this for years and the grease always has stayed put and never leaked out into the movements. just be sure to use high tempereture grease and only a tiny bit untill it's silent. i can't see any reason it can cause harm as long as it stays put. the rotor is so heavy on these it makes no difference in rotating with the grease just not audible anymore and won't "freewheel" at 50,000 rpms like before and start vibrating the watch on your wrist:P

try it......you will not be dissapionted :bounce:

Thanks a lot for this information! I'm gonna try this on my "louder than a bomb" PAM 187. :)

Well all I can add is that the ETA tech sheets all call for a small very small amount of Moebus 9010 on all rotor bearings...

My only fear would be that some of the grease would get on something it shouldn't...otherwise I don't think it's a wear issue, as long as the rotor turns it should be fine...

I am not one to vary from the standard practices, but that is just the way I approach things.

RG

Well I happen to like the rotor "sound" (I don't call it noise :) ) my 7753 makes. And I love it when the rotor really gets going, like when you make a sudden motion, and almost tears your arm off.

PS I am being serious.

:Jumpy: swiss 7750/53s sound noisy but smooth. asian 7750s sound like unrefined scraping poo. there is a difference.

Here comes the newbie question... (From a guy that is a little scared of opening the case) Can you post a pick of where to put the grease?

Yes, I can tell you that you should use axel grease where it's designed to be used, your car...

A watch movement is a finely made mechanical marvel, it contains extremely small parts, and requires specialized oils and greases during servicing. Using anything but the manufacturer recommended practices, no matter the results, is not advised.

If your scared to open the case, do yourself ( and your watch ) a favor, leave the axel grease to the automechanics, not inside your timepiece.

There is a reason that ETA recommends the finest thinnest oil in a small amount on rotor bearings. Think about it.

RG

The Hatter was the first to break the silence. `What day of the month is it?' he said, turning to Alice: he had taken his watch out of his pocket, and was looking at it uneasily, shaking it every now and then, and holding it to his ear.

Alice considered a little, and then said `The fourth.'

`Two days wrong!' sighed the Hatter. `I told you butter wouldn't suit the works!' he added looking angrily at the March Hare.

`It was the BEST butter,' the March Hare meekly replied.

`Yes, but some crumbs must have got in as well,' the Hatter grumbled: `you shouldn't have put it in with the bread-knife.'

The March Hare took the watch and looked at it gloomily: then he dipped it into his cup of tea, and looked at it again: but he could think of nothing better to say than his first remark, `It was the BEST butter, you know.'

Yes, I can tell you that you should use axel grease where it's designed to be used, your car...

A watch movement is a finely made mechanical marvel, it contains extremely small parts, and requires specialized oils and greases during servicing. Using anything but the manufacturer recommended practices, no matter the results, is not advised.

If your scared to open the case, do yourself ( and your watch ) a favor, leave the axel grease to the automechanics, not inside your timepiece.

There is a reason that ETA recommends the finest thinnest oil in a small amount on rotor bearings. Think about it.

RG

i am a auto/aircraft mechanic and i work for boeing. i can tell you if you have to use axel grease to make a bearing quiet it is junk. bearings for a commercial aircraft are put on a machine and spun to operating speed and then we listen to them with an electronic stethascope, if you can hear it?, it goes into the trash and not on a aircraft that you and your family are flying on 5 miles in the sky at 600 mph in the middel of the night over the ocean. the bearings we throw into the trash for an airplane are the best bearings that you could ever imagine for a race car much less your family car.

i am not a watchsmith like The Zigmeister but i can tell you the bearings that are in my navitimer are junk and

eta recommended oil will not make them quiet. you have 2 choices, change the bearings or use a lubracant that is heavy enough to shut them up.

if you use high temp axel grease it won't melt in the sun and get into the rest of the watch so as long as the rotor spins to wind the watch like it is supposed to what will it hurt?

i guess my question is if i send my watch to you The Zigmeister what are you going to do to fix it? change the bearings? if you are only going to put some watch oil on it i can go to my local jewlery repair shop and they will do it for about 5.00 but it won't be fixed.

the axle grease could be a solution but im not sure(i guess time would tell) but i will try it on mine if i ever keep me a asian auto , lol , i would say bad bearings need replacement imho

the problem is can u find a replacement to fit the asian 7750 rotor, im wondering would the eta bearings fit , hmmm stay tuned i will let u know when i check and see, lol

joe

The beautyfull sound that is a "trademark" of original 7750 7753 and 7760 MUST NOT CHANGE!I have some original 7750 in A fortis spacematic and tissot Le Locle!

173199-9065.jpg

173199-9066.jpg

173199-9067.jpg:1a:

if i went to an ad and they tried to sell me a new 6,000.00 breitling that sounded like a hay bailer they would still hear me laughing as i was driving away to the rolex store. i love breitlings but they are no rolex and if that is the way a gen sounds i can't imagine why anybody buys them. they associate themselves with aviation and precision. that sound is from poor materials and workmanship which is not allowed in aviation. if a watch stops it is no big deal. if a aircraft stops people die. in my line of work there is no room for such poor quality and workmanship.

the axle grease could be a solution but im not sure(i guess time would tell) but i will try it on mine if i ever keep me a asian auto , lol , i would say bad bearings need replacement imho

the problem is can u find a replacement to fit the asian 7750 rotor, im wondering would the eta bearings fit , hmmm stay tuned i will let u know when i check and see, lol

joe

yes the biggest issue is the bearings are junk from when they are new! we can use heavy axle grease and then the watch does not any longer "sound" fake or use the correct eta oils and have it be "in proper spec" and sound like a junky piece of poo.......i think that being replica watches, getting them more believable as genuine is more important than using the "proper oils" besides, do you really think the bearing will wear faster with axle grease instead of light oil? i think not......choose as you wish. yes, the rotor will spin faster without the grease....is that a good thing? vibrating on your wrist and sounding like a toilet flushing? besides, it only winds in one direction. when its spinning 5000 rpms on your wrist, it's going backward anyways and not winding............ :g:
  • Like 1

if i went to an ad and they tried to sell me a new 6,000.00 breitling that sounded like a hay bailer they would still hear me laughing as i was driving away to the rolex store. i love breitlings but they are no rolex and if that is the way a gen sounds i can't imagine why anybody buys them. they associate themselves with aviation and precision. that sound is from poor materials and workmanship which is not allowed in aviation. if a watch stops it is no big deal. if a aircraft stops people die. in my line of work there is no room for such poor quality and workmanship.

@hk45... i agree! sounds like crap. precision watches should be precision parts. not sound like a bench grinder..maybe eta reccomends light oil? maybe they should have reccomended bearings that are not garbage too :p

@hk45... i agree! sounds like crap. precision watches should be precision parts. not sound like a bench grinder..maybe eta reccomends light oil? maybe they should have reccomended bearings that are not garbage too :p

yes, good bearings would be a good place to start.

Please Sign In or Sign Up