When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

You Do Not Have To Live With The 7750 Whirrrr.

flavor flav

Don't be silly... if the bearing was no good the rotor wouldn't whizzzzzz....

it will if the tolorances are loose enough. let me say it like this, if the alternator bearings or the wheel bearings start sounding like that on your car i would fix it if i were you. if you can hear a bearing grinding when it spins it is junk.

it will if the tolorances are loose enough. let me say it like this, if the alternator bearings or the wheel bearings start sounding like that on your car i would fix it if i were you. if you can hear a bearing grinding when it spins it is junk.

as i can see you dont know the story of Original Val7750 and all of the tests and head to head comparison to other chrono movements...and also i can say you have never measured the weight of the rotor...and a lot more...so its not so good to say a movement part of 7750 "junk" see in the net some technical details of the 7750 and you will find out why its still the most reliable movement compared even to the great El primero that i also have in my collection...My regards!

as i can see you dont know the story of Original Val7750 and all of the tests and head to head comparison to other chrono movements...and also i can say you have never measured the weight of the rotor...and a lot more...so its not so good to say a movement part of 7750 "junk" see in the net some technical details of the 7750 and you will find out why its still the most reliable movement compared even to the great El primero that i also have in my collection...My regards!

you are correct. i know nothing of the movement nor did i say it is junk. i said if you can hear the bearings grinding they are junk. i don't care how heavy the rotor is the fact remains if you can hear the bearings they are not good. the 20" rims on my car weigh 45 lbs each and you cannot hear the wheel bearings and when the time comes that you can, it will be time to change them.

i am not a watch smith but i have worked on all of the space vehichles, thomahawk cruise missles, mx intercontinental ballistic cruise missles, all versions of the b1 bomber and the complete line of boeing commercial aircraft built in the last 30 years so i do know alittle about close tolorances and precision manufacturing and i can tell you with out a doubt the bearings in the rotor of my navitimer are crap.

i don't have to know anything about a watch movement to know when bearings are bad and made to crap manufactureing spec's

yes .....the 7750 is a great movement. yes ......the bearing in the rotors are crap. do they need to be aircraft spec bearings to last a long time and do the job? no. i'm quite sure the rotor bearing will always function as it's designed and always allow the rotor to wind thhe watch. as there is not much load on the bearing, it should last forever. but i'll say it again. it sounds like [censored]! :Jumpy:

Will do, will have to locate the grease first. I seriously considered completely removing the rotor to get a manual watch - it annoys me that much.

Thanks for the tip!

after you posted, i just did another one. my pam 251.... :wub: so quiet now! wears like a handwind unitas. zero rotor noise unless your ear is on the caseback :D

I will share some facts.....I have serviced a few movements with the "Noisy Rotor Syndrome" .... after oiling the rotor bearing with 9010 oil (per ETA Oil Charts) some will continue to make noise and some will improve a lot. 7750 rotors are known for their noise.

I just serviced an ETA2824 installed on a IWC Ingy...even after oiling the rotor it still makes a little noise when you wind it manually. <_<

So the fact is that some rotor bearings are not made to the best quality and specs. :angry:

noisy bearings = bad quality and need replacement (getting a 7750 rotor replacement is another story)

I will share some facts.....I have serviced a few movements with the "Noisy Rotor Syndrome" .... after oiling the rotor bearing with 9010 oil (per ETA Oil Charts) some will continue to make noise and some will improve a lot. 7750 rotors are known for their noise.

I just serviced an ETA2824 installed on a IWC Ingy...even after oiling the rotor it still makes a little noise when you wind it manually. <_<

So the fact is that some rotor bearings are not made to the best quality and specs. :angry:

noisy bearings = bad quality and need replacement (getting a 7750 rotor replacement is another story)

maybe i should have ruby send me another complete movement so i can experiment.

You guys are missing the point here.

7750 will make noise regardless it is Asian or Swiss. I personally have no problem with a little winding noise and I totally enjoy the "Valjoux wobble" with the watch on my wrist when the rotor is free wheeling at amazing speed.

:whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling:

You guys are missing the point here.

7750 will make noise regardless it is Asian or Swiss. I personally have no problem with a little winding noise and I totally enjoy the "Valjoux wobble" with the watch on my wrist when the rotor is free wheeling at amazing speed.

:whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling:

ok, give me 250.00 and i will send you this rock grinding peice of [censored].

The new 7750 bearings are much bigger than the Asian ones, so replacement is not an option, at least not without some re-working of the Asian rotor. Although at $20 or so, the new ETA bearing is a wonderful improvement... The older ETA 7750's rotor bearings are the same size as the ones in the Asian models, but are held in place differently.

As far as functionality goes, I have never had a failure of a 7750 rotor, the noise may be annoying, but it doesn't affect the working of the autowinder.

You could replace the whole rotor and bearing with an ETA one, but the price is too high (the ETA rotor fits the new Asian 7750 and works just fine).

Having worked in the aviation industry for 26 years, I have a hard time varying from the AMM, so if ETA suggests 9010 in a very small amount, that's what I do.

What others do is their choice. I am not prepared to support putting a huge (in watch terms) blob of grease on a watch...others can suggest what they like, and it seems to work, so to each their own. If someone is weary of removing a caseback, I won't be the one to encourage them to bolb grease on the rotor, especially when the amount on the stick is as much grease I would use in mainspring barrels for about 30 watches...these are watches, not Mack trucks...

Since my customers want their watches serviced and lubricated correctly, and want a long life from them after I do the work, I'll stick to what is tried and true. So far no returns or complaints...

"nuff said...

RG

The new 7750 bearings are much bigger than the Asian ones, so replacement is not an option, at least not without some re-working of the Asian rotor. Although at $20 or so, the new ETA bearing is a wonderful improvement... The older ETA 7750's rotor bearings are the same size as the ones in the Asian models, but are held in place differently.

As far as functionality goes, I have never had a failure of a 7750 rotor, the noise may be annoying, but it doesn't affect the working of the autowinder.

You could replace the whole rotor and bearing with an ETA one, but the price is too high (the ETA rotor fits the new Asian 7750 and works just fine).

Having worked in the aviation industry for 26 years, I have a hard time varying from the AMM, so if ETA suggests 9010 in a very small amount, that's what I do.

What others do is their choice. I am not prepared to support putting a huge (in watch terms) blob of grease on a watch...others can suggest what they like, and it seems to work, so to each their own. If someone is weary of removing a caseback, I won't be the one to encourage them to bolb grease on the rotor, especially when the amount on the stick is as much grease I would use in mainspring barrels for about 30 watches...these are watches, not Mack trucks...

Since my customers want their watches serviced and lubricated correctly, and want a long life from them after I do the work, I'll stick to what is tried and true. So far no returns or complaints...

"nuff said...

RG

LOL :D

I always assumed the scale difference between aviation and horology was large enough for the rules to change. What works on wheel bearings doesn't necessarily hold true for watch rotors.

"nuff said...

RG

And a merry Xmas to you, too, The Zigmeister! :D

I always assumed the scale difference between aviation and horology was large enough for the rules to change. What works on wheel bearings doesn't necessarily hold true for watch rotors.

And a merry Xmas to you, too, The Zigmeister! :D

the same phisics apply the only difference is the size and speed of the bearing. it is a ball bearing, it costs nothing to make a bearing that small and that low speed quiet.

the same phisics apply the only difference is the size and speed of the bearing. it is a ball bearing, it costs nothing to make a bearing that small and that low speed quiet.

The viscosity of the lubricant is related to the surface area required, surely. That's physics.

Using aircraft wheel bearing lube on minute watch bearings would be a mistake in my books.

I'm with Clive's "but it was BEST butter" myself.

The viscosity of the lubricant is related to the surface area required, surely. That's physics.

Using aircraft wheel bearing lube on minute watch bearings would be a mistake in my books.

I'm with Clive's "but it was BEST butter" myself.

if the bearings were made to aircraft quality manufactureing standerds they wouldn't require paste grease to take up the slack and hide the crappy standerds they were made to. the tolorances are too loose there for making a sloppy bearing which is very loud.

• 3 weeks later...
@flavorflav: thnx for the tip!!! Just put the grease on the rotor of my new Link Chrono and all the noise is gone. Only when I put my ear on it I can hear it rotating smoothly as it should. Here´s definitely a happy fellow :thumbsupsmileyanim:

:animal_rooster::animal_rooster::animal_rooster:

eta doesn't reccomend it.........but it works :thumbsupsmileyanim: at least it makes the watch wearable! who cares if the movement lasts forever if it sounds so bad i won't wear it! go for it..... what's ther to lose? i like to go against the grain and do things my way. i seriously doubt this can cause any harm in any way unless extreme cold i would think the rotor may not spin well.... other than that......... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Please Sign In or Sign Up