When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Apple Watch - My Perspective / Review

Aero_Dave

OK, I’ll probably get bashed in here for this by the ‘purest’ , but I’d thought I would give My personal assessment of the new Apple Watch (for me). So I’ve had my new watch for 3 days and so far, I’m glad I bought it. I’ve seen many posting on different forums on people bashing anyone who would buy one. They spout-off many different reasons like these:

High Price – Well most of us in here have spent Way more than this on a watch, including me. I’ve spent 5x as much on just a Stainless-Steel watch (Super Franken 16610) and that does nothing more than tell time.  But I don’t’ care, it’s what I like.

The battery will die, then what – Just like any other Apple product, it will be replaceable. If not by Apple, there will be plenty of 3rd parties offering this service. I’ve already seen the Break-down video  of the watch and the battery will be replaceable.

I already have a Smartphone, why do I need a Smartwatch -  Well for Me at least, I’ve already found that I can keep my phone either on my desk or in my pocket without looking at it. Now that may not be a convenient you want or need for the cost of the watch. But it is nice not needing to use the phone for most of my day.

It will be obsolete in the next 12-18 months – Really, I don’t see why. Sure, Apple will come out with a newer model with more features, but so what. Don’t new watches come out every few years, or upgraded one’s. Do you feel you Must have the new one when it does? The way I see it, my Apple Watch will do tomorrow, everything it still does today and even more with additional 3rd party applications.

So for me (so far) I love my new watch. Yes, to me it is a watch! I’ve loved watches all my life and I consider myself as a watch purest, but I also still consider the Apple watch, a watch. It’s a different kind of watch, but since it still tells time, it’s a watch. Plus it does so much more and for me, it’s worth having. We’ll see down the road if I’ve changed my mind in any way and if so, I will post another update. But so far I like it. I can control which emails I want to know about and then take a quick look at it, without pulling out my phone. I can reply too if needed. I can receive, send and reply to text messages without the phone. I can even make & receive phone calls. Now granted the speaker is small and not the highest quality sounding, but it is usable while driving and the person on the other end said I sounded just find too. Yes I know, I still have to have the iPhone with me (within Bluetooth range) but that’s ok to me.  Besides, since the watch can’t do Everything the phone can, your still goanna need one. At least for now until technology improves more.

BTW, I bought the 42mm Stainless Steel with the Milanese loop band.

Dave...

• Like 1

Wrist shot?

I like the link with Ikepod and the great strap options. I may have to bite soon too.

Were you tempted to try one of the sub-$100 replicas first?

Wrist Shot:

IMG_0545.jpg

Yes, I tried the Pebble 1st just to see if this was something I'd really be interested in. But I quickly found the Pebble just

sends a copy of a message to the watch, but you can't do anything with it. I guess if the Pebble even offered some 'Canned'

replies that would be good. But they don't so I found the Pebble to be useless and wanted more. So I ordered the Apple and

so far, its good (for me).

Dave....

Once they are populated with apps to perform health diagnostics in real-time (blood pressure, blood glucose levels, etc), it will make (some) sense. But, for now, it is just the next 'cool' techie thing from Apple that becomes a must-have until the next 'cool' thing takes its place.

20 years from now, barring some global apocalypse, Rolex watches will continue their ascent of valuable collectibility & the Apple watch of today will reside next to the 1st gen iPod in the bottom of your sock drawer.

Dave I have to be honest I like it   :)  I'm an Apple whore as much as I am a Rollie whore so I'm with you on the why's and wherefore's of having one but I just can't see me buying one in the near future, they do look nice though! 

Enjoy mate  :inverted:

I you like it enjoy it. That band looks comfy.  I am somewhat interested, mainly for the apps Freddy was talking about.  Using it at the gym for tracking some biometrics, but I doubt I will get one.  I wear my 1016 to the gym:)  

I own a Fenix 3 and while it is not an Apple watch, it has many features that make my other watches obsolete in many ways. Besides it being lighter than most larger 3-hand analog automatics, it avails me of world times, multiple alarms, barometer, HR monitor, thermometer, altimeter, compass, GSP, it is WiFi and Blue Tooth capable, automatically syncs with my iPhone, gives me text, email, call notifications, it gets me the weather information, works as a detailed activity monitor, has multiple watch faces available (many others in development, it is absolutely sun-light readable, and it gives me multiple sport dynamics (time, distance, calories spent, vertical oscillation, stride length, ground contact time, etc.). It can even record strokes, time and distance while swimming. In fact, I have likely left out many other functions.

It cost me about the price I've paid for most of the nicer, better reps I've purchased and it does so much more. So, I get the Apple watch thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Correction: GPS, not "GSP".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk