When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

BP 5002 AR color?

paulvillo

This is my first IWC, picked it up about a month ago over m2m. And I'm in love!!!

While nurturing and cleaning it, I noticed the AR is pretty scratched (on both sides apparently) as hands and dial seem pretty abused as well.

A friend of mine has this RG BP/perpetual monstrosity mashup below that was never used (understandable :p).

418e431a789b96833291bd5edbe6d1bf.jpg

Same case, cheaper construction, cheapest 23j, medium-crap deploy/strap, very lightweight and 2009 dated (year cannot be adjusted). Interestingly enough, both reps share the same serial # (!).

I did a little research on TDs and found it on Andrew’s catalog dating back to 2008, but in steel.

Well, my friend gave it to me and I was considering swapping crystals, but then I noticed that my v1 has a purplish colored AR whereas his RG monster’s crystal is almost clear with a hint of blue (visible on the edges).

Notice the plafond light reflection right in the middle and the edges, definitely purple on my 5002:

4ee9e3dfcee045f17d918ba46ebb33f9.jpg

Now on the RG perpetual the same plafond looks white (they're fluorescent yellow lights) and you can see blue along the edges of the crystal/case:

088feef320f5bee161a66304443df974.jpg

While reading SD4K's community guide on best IWCs I saw this pic of a 5002 v1 and got confused... Date wheel seems sunken but check its AR reflection out:

fefe2a3e611227c2ba05d406675482e1.jpg

I cleaned my 5002 crystal from the inside and it’s now better than when I got it, but not 100%.

So I don’t know what to do now. Which is the correct AR color?

Should I swap the crystals or not??

Thanks in advance guys.

PV

Edited by paulvillo

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

In my experience and just like PAMs the AR hue can vary on the Big Pilot gens...

If you are keen to keep it then I would get an AR coating on it... there are plenty of guys that do it but it can be about timing (ie when runs are being done) and or where you are located and are prepared to ship to... In EU you have a few guys/modders that will do it.. in East you have a few and in US there are a few more...

Each modders AR has a hue some more noticeable than others and so its really deciding which you prefer and going with that...

Also its useful to confirm that you actually have sapphire.... so do the water droplet test to confirm it is sapphire or mineral.... if its mineral I only know one modder that does that and he is in EU plus the bonus is his mineral AR is clear so no hue at all...

If you go for the strongest AR rather than the hue you will find it doesnt really matter about the hue as the AR will speak volumes and the hue wont trouble you or be that noticeable... and even if it is you can easily remove the outer AR and reduce if not remove the hue completely...

The trouble is that we all fall into the trap of becoming fixated on the details in photos etc.... my tip with any rep is to get your friend/other half/kids etc to put the watch on then you sit them down at a table and you sit opposite them... once you see your rep like that (as others would see it) then you can focus in on what really needs doing if anything at all... you will be surprised just what others see or how hard it can be to judge a rep at 3 feet away.... ;)

prices are about the same across the modders so the options are there you just need to decide which you prefer to go with...

You should of moved the PR register while you had it open..:) as thats more of a give away than a lot of things... especially with AR ;);)

Edited by PeteM

In my experience and just like PAMs the AR hue can vary on the Big Pilot gens...

mAlso its useful to confirm that you actually have sapphire.... so do the water droplet test to confirm it is sapphire or mineral. 

The trouble is that we all fall into the trap of becoming fixated on the details in photos etc.... my tip with any rep is to get your friend/other half/kids etc to put the watch on then you sit them down at a table and you sit opposite them... once you see your rep like that (as others would see it) then you can focus in on what really needs doing if anything at all... you will be surprised just what others see or how hard it can be to judge a rep at 3 feet away....

prices are about the same across the modders so the options are there you just need to decide which you prefer to go with...

You should of moved the PR register while you had it open..:) as thats more of a give away than a lot of things... especially with AR

Pete, thanks for all the inputs.

I was in touch with Steve (prof's AR look impressive imho) clearing out a handful of doubts I had before shipping him the crystal, but for some reason haven't heard from him afterwards.

Regarding the PR I actually did move it, just left a couple mm as I wasn't able to tell if gen really goes all the way to the end of the marker :)

Also, it's really a good idea to put them reps on another wrist, will try that!

EU might be an option, but the "water droplet" thing got my attention ;)

I mean, it's supposed to be sapphire but I wouldn't be surprised if not.

Do you mind elaborating a bit more on that water droplet test and results?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

------

Just found out that the water will 'concentrate' like small ball if sapphire. If mineral crystal, water will 'flat' like 'spoiled egg'...

Will try that ;)