When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Mont Blanc Pens

mrgreen

I know its not watch related but I was bidding on ebay for an MB Ballpoint last night and missed out by a couple of pounds. I was willing to drop £150 on it.

Today I saw a client (insurance Broker) who was using a MB Pen. I had a close look at it and he was showing me all the lovely features. It was perfectly finished and very well weighted for writing. After me extolling all the virtues of the Marque he then told me he paid £10 for it from a market stall in Honk Kong!!!

It was so well finished that Im unwilling now to pay for the real thing, also the couple on Ebay that I saw looked pretty much the same and were advertised as no box or papers... Now, if I had bought a gen MB I would make sure I kept all the boxes and paperwork (wouldn't you??). So I have huge suspicions now about those pens.

Then I thought perhaps someone here knows were I may get a replica one?? Pretty please???!!! :0)

Edited by mrgreen

Found one on a parking lot in Frankfurt airport 5 years ago with the top slightly cracked (must have been runover), but still working......beautiful pen. 2 years ago I stop by the MB Boutique store at ohare airport to see if they have a 

replacement top, the Rep took a look at it, went to the back and after 5 or so minutes came back out and give me back the pen......with a brand new top........gratis! I bought her an extra large Starbucks and a couple of muffins! Love the gal!

Pretty, too. :1a:  :)

A perfect replica of a pen should be a slam dunk!!! No moving parts except the retractor mechanism in the ballpoint. Biggest problem with the fountain pens would be the nib, as a good gold nib probably costs more than the rest of the pen to make. Get a rep pen and find a good gen nib, and you are in business. But then, you young guys don't use fountain pens, right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are some great reviews over on RWI of rep MB pens from Ali Express. Some are falling apart or not up to par, but most are great and we are talking about $8 to $20. The fountain pens are nice, too. They take gen cartridges.

The sellers are all reviewed in the thread with links to the exact pens ordered. Literally all of the homework is done for you. A guy even bought a custom suit for $40!! You work with a local tailor to measure you and then send the measurements over to them. LOL They even have a fully bespoke suit for $120!

Edited by Mendota Explorer

But then, you young guys don't use fountain pens, right?

I'm a young guy at university and use a fountain pen daily. It makes for easier writing and ends up being cheaper than buying heaps of cheap disposable pens. Though I will say I don't see many around.

Forget about rep fountain. The nibs are hit & miss to whether they will, write, write inconstantly or not write at all.

Get a ball point/roller ball and put in gen refills.

Saying that, I have 2 Mont Blanc rep fountain pens and after polishing the nibs they are a joy to use ;)

I have a Gen MB 75th Anniversary pen and love it. I also have a really nice Rep MB George Bernard Shaw limited edition Roller Ball. I found the Schmidt ceramic roller insert #5888 fits this rep pen. The inserts do not have any threads on them and the original insert on the rep Shaw pen uses them. I found that I can just push and screw-in the inserts and the pen cuts the threads in the plastic insert and it’s a perfect fit. The pen is nice & heavy, Very Smooth insert makes writing a breeze. I’ll try to find out where I bought the pen from.

IMG_0608.jpg

IMG_0607.jpg

IMG_0606.jpg

IMG_0605.jpg

IMG_0604.jpg

Dave...

• 2 weeks later...

Aware of that bro. Hence my question as this one appeared to be black but thought it might just be my screen.

There is a green rep I used throughout 2014. It's weight is very good and the green material was an excellent analogue of the original. Signature was right, so too size and shape. It's let down only by the electroplating which rubbed back a little over the year.

And before anyone asks, it's no longer available as an accurate rep due to material changes in the green stone material.

Edited by seriph

Here is a couple of mine. FP and BP

Not sure if this'll work as I'm on my phone.

GBS012.jpg

Edited by seriph