When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Platinum paint mod permenant?

Barkerp7

Hi Guys just recently paid for a platinum paint mod to be done on my noob sub from a member on here.

Got the watch back looked great thought i would giver her a quick clean and polish with a slightly damp cloth!!!! and wow no more platinum paint

All the paint just rubbed right off you can still see tiny bit left on the 40 marker.

I paid for the mod to be done so very dissapointed? i have contacted the member dont want to mention any names yet but had no reply since friday. please see pic of watch now post-48505-0-19108800-1434983635_thumb.j

If I were to be honest, NO regular paint, acrylic or enamel is acceptable as all will flake eventually.

To really do it right , you should use caliper/manifold paint and bake the insert. Thinning the white primer first... Baking. Then applying a silver/grey manifold paint that's applied with an airbrush to get the right texture.. And then baking again.

I've done it, but really, after all the effort, just using a genuine insert is not out of reach.

Doesn't explain why your paint came off so easily though. Should've been a bit more durable than that.

If I were to be honest, NO regular paint, acrylic or enamel is acceptable as all will flake eventually.

To really do it right , you should use caliper/manifold paint and bake the insert. Thinning the white primer first... Baking. Then applying a silver/grey manifold paint that's applied with an airbrush to get the right texture.. And then baking again.

I've done it, but really, after all the effort, just using a genuine insert is not out of reach.

Doesn't explain why your paint came off so easily though. Should've been a bit more durable than that.

I agree, there is nothing like a genuine bezel and insert on these. The fonts on the reps are too thin, and not deep enough, plus nothing that  I have seen is as good as the real platinum that Rolex uses. 

Ditto. Of the 2 'platinum' paint jobs I have seen so far, in both cases, I thought the underlying color from the factory looked better.

I think if you want something more accurate than what the factory applies, buy a gen.

It is hard to get the paint to be "permanent", I must have tried at least a dozen different paints and techniques when I had a Sub C and while some turned out really good looking, I encountered the same problem with the paint not holding up.  Eventually I found a mix that worked pretty well, but sold the watch.  

A good reason to go gen or go vintage.... ;)

If the modder who did this used too little water, or even too little water when mixing with the Annitas paint it can indeed cause the paint to be too soft, and not hard as nails < This is how it should be when mixed right.  

The modder also needs to shake the bottle quite hard so the internal mix of paints are fused together otherwise when pouring out the paint, one or the other will come out, not all/mix.

I know the above from experimenting, and learning the hard way with Annitas

• 1 month later...

Uh... I used testors enamels on mine months ago and they are fine. I even did showers with the watch on with no problem. Strange effect this!

I am pretty sure the modder involved wasn't expecting this problem. It would be just plain stupid to do the job just to make a customer disappointed!