When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Franken SD1665 GW build advice

mech500

Just a little frustrating that a simple mid-case like this cannot be laser scanned and CNC'd to (practically) 1:1.

Bezels and casebacks are harder to replicate 1:1 (to Swiss tolerances) but mid-cases don't get simpler than this.

theyre all hand finished. they CNC the rough shape then reduce it by hand to add bevels and shape the cgs better. he can slim it down for you he just doesnt want to deal with it, considering what you paid, he should. as for the case back and bezel its actually easier to do since its a set process and not hand finished. they use high pressure water to cut the teeth properly on the caseback after it comes out of a mold, or at least the better manufacturers do. you could pay a modder to hand reduce the outside CGs. ive done it before but cant quite reproduce the factory polish once reduction is complete, its painstaking to get perfect with out the proper tools and machines

I think I can live with it for now but (for the price) just expected the CNC 'rough shape' to be much much better.

I am an engineer and do this for a living.....the CGs can easily and cheaply be finished to +/- 0.25mm before hand finishing. This case is more like +/- 0.75mm. Probably a rep of a rep of a rep. lol

With bezels rings and casebacks it's hard to get the scallops to sparkle as per gen using rep manufacturing tolerances and techniques. The differences are microns but can (some cases) make the difference between a thing of beauty and something that is plain ugly.

Anyways, I'm just nit picking for fun. Lol

Appreciate the comments.

Edited by mech500

Well, I don't want to sound like an expert but I've been through a lot of changes in my own GW project.
I end up having something I like very much for a budget way under the 1.500 €.

My case is an old school MBW and the movement is a non stack 2846.

The question I ask myself these days is whether I want a 1:1 or a "as close as possible" in terms of look on the wrist.
I go for the second option whatever watch it is.

I cannot afford genuine anymore but use to own quite a number of Rolex.
I had to sell them all.

But, if my business goes up again, I wouldn't go the rep way for sure.
Reps are great when you like a watch but not enough to make it one of your top 10 desired one.

I understand that buying a gen GW overseas is a hard move but I'm sure some of our US based members can help you to source one and check it in the flesh.
If you have the funds, go genuine.
A GW MK2 (Rail dial) can only become a collectible piece over the years and will probably end up in the 25K.

Cheers
Stephane

Thanks for the comments @stephane

I agree, I also prefer "as close as possible" rather than full-blown Frankenstein however aesthetically speaking....rep vintage dials just don't do it for me. The whole fake patina just doesn't look right IMO.

Also, I like to research builds, source parts and build Frankens as a hobby (not because I can't afford gen). It's too easy to rock up and buy a used gen but it'll have no personal value to me.

Also, my build costs $4600.

A well cared for gen (from a reputable dealer, with nice thick lugs) is likely to cost around +$10k minimum. Even then, at that price, you're likely to get a watch with severely corroded hands and crumbling hour markers.....one sneeze and all that tritium will end up in the movement. Lol.

My plan is to use the $5k savings to build an equally badass 1675.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a quick question on the endlinks? I was under the impression that the 1665 used 585 endlinks. The 580 on 1680 subs from that era. I know that gen 585's are more expensive. I bought a brand new set from a seller on the VRM. Several years ago and I believe they were around 200.00 USD

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Both 580 and 585 could be correct.

The later ones (GW's) had 580's.

I'm using an ST bracelet and endlinks.....with gen clasp.

Ain't paying $200 for a shitty folded piece of tin.

Even gen bracelets are over rated IMO.

Lol

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some build pics guys:

The best part (for me) is the cheap ass plastic Clarke plexy. Lol

Spec:

Phong mid-case

MQ caseback

Gen service (lumi): dial/hands/insert/bezel

Clarke T39 super-dome

Gen serviced 1570

Gen clasp on ST bracelet (not in pics)

5ebb8f1ef5d42b297dadaee52dfa1efb.jpg

20682d817fcae6dc74ba120b42201886.jpg

b283de9b377418b85e72e4692f7b2424.jpg

2b172f1a3577610580cb1dbd27ca03b5.jpg

450fc3e531e500b022c226d4601969a5.jpg

4444153b9626284578067162ce461ead.jpg

4d0a8d3c4200cf8e75a0db159253cb09.jpg

b09c661157b8e7dc37bbff9aa34eda9d.jpg

Build carried out by misiekped in NY. Great work as always and a pleasure to deal with.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...