When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Nothing too complicated…

Just a personal observation and reflection over how much one’s tastes change over the course of time in this hobby. I’ve built, owned and seen a lot of pieces over the last decade (wow, has it really been that long?), and where I am now in my collection is the furthest, and yet still true to where I started. As with most who enter this hobby, I used to be interested primarily in Rolex; the iconic Sub 16610 specifically. Didn’t take me long to jump into the world of vintage Sport Rolex and then the fascination with Daytonas came into play. As tastes matured, I became more and more fascinated with tourbillons, and an admiration from afar for things like perpetual calendars and repeaters.

Now, as I look at most of my collection while it’s home visiting me from the bank vault, I notice a pretty overwhelming theme; simplicity. While I still love and adore the complications (and would love to eventually move into building some of the more complicated vintage Pateks), there is just something to be said for the balance and classic design of time only pieces. I've also found myself going further back in time for vintage preference; the 1940's and 1950's seem to be an interesting period for me. And since a thread is worthless without pics, I will try to convey in images what I am trying to express (and not very well I might add) in written word…

(please excuse any dust, smudges, imperfections, poor placement of hands, etc; these are straight off the camera, so likely crude and unrefined :) )

19297082025_55dea3824f_o.jpg

19297940885_9dbbc1222f_o.jpg

19297940855_9dbbc1222f_o.jpg

19340452265_5684479ba3_o.jpg

19314104515_57c2677fcb_o.jpg

19273640486_63556ab7fa_o.jpg

19317997511_16c52c1e91_o.jpg

19336514606_7028f41b41_c.jpg

And to be fair… I do still have one(!) chronograph… But how could I resist?

19297940825_a828775a0c_o.jpg

19273640516_b9bd53a52a_o.jpg

I'd like to know if others find themselves on a similar path... 100 watches to 10, vintage to modern, Rolex to Cartier, big cases to small... I wouldn't be surprised, as the hobby is very evolutionary in and of itself. Still, I would love to hear from others as to their thoughts on the subject as well as their own journeys :)

• Like 6

19273640516_b9bd53a52a_o.jpg

I'd like to know if others find themselves on a similar path... 100 watches to 10, vintage to modern, Rolex to Cartier, big cases to small... I wouldn't be surprised, as the hobby is very evolutionary in and of itself. Still, I would love to hear from others as to their thoughts on the subject as well as their own journeys :)

I switched from buying reps directly to doing vintage Rolex franken builds myself ... although not remotely close to your level. Anyone who asks "Who has the best ... ?" can find the answer somewhere in your collection of builds.  

As great as all of them have been, if I could have just one, this would be it.

Always nice to see what you share. For 7 years I have been a part of your journey, and more then a few times received invaluable guidance from you as well.

What happened to the daytona zenith twins? Thought you would never part.

I started the same way. Wanted a 16610, had a TW Best version (for you old timers it was pretty great for the day) and it was always about the rehaut with those old b*stards.

Then started with the frankens, had a tw gmt with gen dial that I, gulp, cut the feet off.

And then, due to this guys posts, started into the vintage, first with an mbw 1665 and then countless others until ultimately, superfrankengensteinwhateverthehellyouwannacallthem.

Mostly gen parts, usually phong midcase, and if going gilt, darklord dial.

It's been a fun journey and as we all know, ironically enough, I have learned so much more here then any board like vrf or trf. This is a great community and an excellent resource for information.

Thank you everyone, and thanks Ubi, this board has been and continues to be a big part of my life.

• Like 1

Thanks, gents! :)

This hobby takes us to fun and interesting places; perhaps even better than the watches are the great people you meet along the way!

^_^

As great as all of them have been, if I could have just one, this would be it.

T- The 530 is a fave of mine for sure; I'd wear it more often except these old Patek cases are not water friendly (don't think that water resistant cases came around until the late 50's for Patek), and gen dials like this are hard to find :( So, I've been a little more reserved in when/where I've been wearing it. I do have a TC 16622 that I use as daily wear; something that I can submerge in water should the need arise, or not sweat too badly if it gets a scuff ;)

Stunning, as usual. If you ever tire of the big crown, let me know. There's a spot waiting for it next to a certain 1803, 1665 and 5514!!!

DV- Should that day come, I know it would be in good company in your hands! ;)

Always nice to see what you share. For 7 years I have been a part of your journey, and more then a few times received invaluable guidance from you as well.

L&T- Think one of the best things about the forum is sharing of ideas, knowledge and drawing inspiration from one another. This is a very niche hobby, to be sure; to have the kind of braintrust, abilities and resources collectively in one source is beyond value. And it brings us all together as a community and extended family :)

Great photographs of beautiful pieces.  Your collection is truly remarkable.  

We have similar tastes.  I love simple dials and domed plexi's.  Prefer no cyclops these days.  

When I first saw the two tone blue Submariner 16803 back in the early 80's I knew I had to have one, I was in high school at the time and one of my Dad's friends wore one.  I bought a 16613 in 1987 and just loved that watch.  My daily beater for many, many years. Then it needed some work and Rolex wanted a fortune to fix it, so I traded it in on a DJ, kept that a couple of years and traded it in on a DD. Really was a yellow gold guy until I found the forums.  Went through a bunch of different models over 20 years, almost all two tone models.  Tried a couple YM's, a Daytona, another Sub and then another YM.  Tried some other luxury brands as well, but always came back to Rolex.  Even though I had a nice YM, I really missed the 16613.  Sometime back in 2005 ish I bought a "swiss" rep 16613 and wore that for a daily beater and the YM for more special occasions.  Sold the YM to a friend back in 2013 and was after a new ceramic Sub when doing research on the new Subs I found this forum.  

Man did things change after that.  When I found this place, I did not know any of the model numbers, movement types, and really had never looked much at vintage pieces.  I tried about every modern Rolex rep model that I liked the looks of, had Matt build me a few nice dress watches, gold or two tone of course...I did not really count, but I probably went through 30+ watches last year.  Figured out that I really do not like modern watches anymore.    

The biggest change was the move to really loving the vintage pieces.  Especially no date, no cyclops models.  Also I rarely ever wear gold anymore...

As I learned more from spending time here, the builds started getting a little more precise and well of course more expensive to reach the desired goal.  

In the end even my franken TC is too modern.  I hardly ever wear it.  

At this point my collection consists of mostly vintage franken builds: 6538, 5513, 1016, 16750, two builds in the works, an improved 1016 and a 16014, then the modernish TC LV and a 116233 that I rarely wear.

After completing the 6538, I have too many watches as I could really wear it everyday.  With a nice assortment of straps and a bracelet, I could easily just sell off my collection and just wear the 6538 everyday with different strap combos.

I do want another gen and have been looking for a 1966 1675 with gilt dial and small gmt hand for a long time now.  Once I find one, I will change the plexi to a t-38 and I think that would be a great combination with the 6538.

So basically in very little time my tastes have changed a lot.                  

dtm-

It's funny how things work. Sometimes it can take years to find one's way and sometimes folks get it in relatively shorter terms. And it's also interesting to see how so many of us have been drawn to the hobby by... Rolex. I firmly believe that reps are a gateway to gens (if a rep is one's first step into the watch world), or in the case of starting with gens and going to reps as many of us have also done, I am sure we find time to dabble in gens still ;) Many of us also end up venturing off to other brands to explore as well; variety is nice! But in the end, I think one certain Rolex personality had stated it best in an article he wrote in that people usually end up coming back to Rolex.

One thing is for sure- Love them or hate them, Rolex is the powerhaus in the world of horology.

• Like 1

First off, Ubi, that is a fabulous collection. I have watched your Patek builds over the years, and have liked every one of them.

Watch collecting, accumulating and building are for most of us a dynamic and fluid process., like life itself. Life is a journey, and we all change over the course of the journey. I doubt that there are many here who have been in this game for more than a few years have the exact same interests that they had years ago. Some of us over time have gone full circle, returning to the watches that first caught our eyes many years ago. Those first Rolex 1665's, 1680's and their contemporaries were cast aside for newer, more complicated, bigger, gaudy watches. But over time, as one get's older, there is a slow but inexorable turn toward simplicity, not only in watches, but in all aspects of life. We pass through phases in life, and as some have described, our tastes mature as we go forward. I see a lot of beautiful contemporary watches, and they certainly sing the sirens song, but with most of them, it is pretty easy to suppress the urge to own them. It's sort of like seeing a beautiful 25 year old woman, certainly a lovely work of art and most desirable, but at my age, best admired from afar with fond thoughts of time gone by. Same with watches, some are lovely to look at, but best seen on someone else's wrist.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hagus-

Thank you! The blue dial is a very unique look. The dial base is 18k YG, so it makes for a very interesting aesthetic. Color changes depending on the light source/angle, etc...

19263963049_12e5235cd3_c.jpg

19263963089_bcceca7f96_c.jpg

19263963099_fd7e8ec6f6_c.jpg

Movement is a 23-300; I need to have a new movement ring made, however. Something more befitting of this caliber...

19263963109_01d4968c1e_c.jpg

Whaw, what a journey.... Kudos to you and to the forum.

Amazing builds .

I just wasn't as fortunate to find my way here as early on... Shame, there's some great watch Jedi here who offer great advice and knowledge, I'm all about vintage sub builds for a few years now, after a vintage Pam bug which wore off kept my esdee's and flogged the rest, before that was regular out the box reps which I haven't bought for around 4 years now and probably won't again... Where is the fun in that :)

Thanks sir! I use an 8 year old Canon EOS Rebel that's been dropped, whacked, banged and smacked more times than I can recall. Glass is a 55mm macro. As a whole, it's really held up quite well!

Wish I knew more about focal lengths, apertures and all that; all I really do is just focus in and shoot. Pics are as-is; I imagine if I knew how to tweak them a little in an editor of some sort, they could look much better! But, they do alright for what they are...

• 8 months later...

This is an old thread, what I can tell you from memory is that the dial and hands are genuine, the case was specially made and the movement is the Lemania movement which Patek Philippe used as a base for their original movement. I hope that is remembered correctly.