When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Just picked up a Patek 5980 Nautilus Chrono with the Black dial. How do you like it?

mule play

Seems like the black dial models are harder to find. White and blue are much easier to source. Does anyone have one? If so, please post your thoughts on ownership.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

It just arrived from Andrew at Trusty today. The 4 case screw heads are stripped as if they were over tightened with a too small screwdriver. Just awful. I had to send Andrew at note back asking for a new model or 4 new screws. And the case is scratched. I'm disappointed and waiting to hear back from Andrew.

post-55555-0-80100600-1437774147_thumb.j

post-55555-0-21066400-1437774270_thumb.j

post-55555-0-85417000-1437774296_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here are a few photos of the white dial version I received back from repair via Andrew @ Trusty.  I would not call it a super rep given these are all v1's, but it is quite nice.  I did have the black dial version noted above with mangled screw problems and exchanged it for this white one.  I did not like the black one in person.  The main tells from gen are the silver dot at the top of the hand stack.  The gen is black, but this is an easy fix when it goes in for a tune up.  A dab of black paint will solve it.  Also, the overall thickness is a bit more than the gen.  I'd like to see v2 get a smidge slimmer given that the chrono is faux.  On the chrono, I'm impressed.  The hands, of which there are two on the stack, center perfectly.  They also have the center silver dot tell.  Again, easy fix when opened.  Lastly, the crown.  It is bit wide compared to gen.  v2 could use a touch of slimming.  Movement, the best part is the engraved rotor.  Much, much better than that AWFUL sticker found on the Aquanauts powered by the SW200.  A sticker is wholly unacceptable to me at over $400.  Everything else is on the 5980 unornamented and generic, frankly.  Certainly, I was not expecting anything like the gen engine. In v2 I'd like to see a more gen work over with gold written PP engravings/markings like the new gen Nautilus versions that have recently come to market. (Example: http://www.intime.co/patek-philippe/2312-nautilus-jumbo-5711-mk-1-1-white-dial-on-bracelet-asian-pp324cs.html)  In another example, the new AP15400 from the J Factory has definitely stepped up the engravings and bridges, thus I think it's doable in this keynote PP 5980 model. (Example: http://www.intime.co/audemars-piguet/2343-royal-oak-41mm-15400-jf-1-1-best-edition-white-dial-on-brown-leather-a3120.html)

Overall, I rate this version as a B/B+ with a room to move into the A category with some modifications and improvements in v2.  Let's make it happen, right? 

Should you buy one now or wait for v2?  

I'd say YES, buy now given the overall quality.  A v2 may never happen or will take a some time...maybe a year or more.  This model will definitely cover the gap until the next version is on the market.

1444835450379.jpg

1444835500397.jpg

1444835533019.jpg

1444835572970.jpg

1444835633463.jpg

Edited by mule play

I did not see the screws in the QC pics.  It's a odd angle that I forgot to ask for in the shoot.  Andrew understood the issue when he saw the photos and went ahead and executed the swap while returning the black dial to inventory for repair.

Version. It's the current v1 version.  I don't believe there are any other versions out with decorated movements/bridges.  If there are, please show me where to purchase one.  I'd love to do a side-by-side comparison.