When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

2015 KH 16622 Dial First Look

tc670207

Rolex holding the crown position in the watchmaking industry has its reason - it produces "Les Beaux Arts".
TC-YM-Pre-Order-01_zpscuu1pvsc.jpg

The moment I unpacked this dial on my work bench, a French phrase rang in my head - "Les Beaux Arts".

I couldn't help but gave the dial a good half an hour gaze, trying to figure out the materials and the work processes to produce this little piece of art. I checked all the watch forums, gen or rep together, and learned that gen Yacht-Master 16622 dial is made of a slice of solid platinum.

Like the 50th Anniversary Submariner 16610LV insert, gen 16622 dial reflects different glares or sparks under different angles or colors of light.
TC-YM-Pre-Order-02_zpsz96xwrrj.jpg

Also like the Submariner 16610 & 16610LV, gen Yacht-Master 16622 dial print has quite a few versions since its 1997 debut. Some have "slender" Yacht-Master font, while others looked "bold".

Members on Rolexforums argued about which variation or series built is worth more to invest in or collect. My British friend and I do not have such a problem. To us, the red, "bold", and raised in high gloss Yacht-Master text appeals the best.
TC-YM-Pre-Order-03_zpssdg3exlg.jpg

Rolex dial makers are the elite few who mastered the skills in dial printing. Gen Rolex dials always bears its trade mark feature - raised printed text. On Yacht-Master 16622, the printed text is somewhere between gloss to matte. One thing worth mentioning is, to pad print on an uneven surface, like the platinum Yacht-Master 16622's dial, and still produce the raised printed text is a lost art. I'm very happy my British friend mastered this lost art.

Gentlemen, may I present "Kensington High 16622 Dial".
TC-YM-Pre-Order-04_zpseixnz0xp.jpg

The lume shot.
TC-YM-Pre-Order-05_zpssvpyyum6.jpg

Another shot under work lamp.
TC-YM-Pre-Order-06_zpswie4gy5i.jpg

Thanks for reading.

TC

07/10/2015
  • Like 3