When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anyone rockin' IWC on sub 7" wrists?

Ayr

The Ingy 3239 rep may never happen and I have an IWC itch to scratch. The size of them put me off though, not sure how well a 42mm+ IWC would sit on wrists my size (6.5 to 6.75 depending on weight). 

Any of you sub 7 guys taken the plunge and are happy with how it looks?  :weight_lift2:

3717 @ 42mm is definitely a good size for < 7" wrists.  When it starts getting up to 45-46mm, things start looking a bit awkward for us skinny wrist folks.  

I have a ~6.8" wrist and can wear the Big Pilot from time to time, but I would consider it to be a smidge too big and a bit uncomfortable for everyday wear.  It's fine for the occasional weekend or dress watch, but I can't imagine wearing it daily simply because of the heft/size on my wrist.  I find that the perfect strap makes most things wearable though, just need to find out what works for you and how comfortable the watches are.

• Like 1

+1 on the strap thing. Always thought that a thick leather strap that was too stiff would just make it harder to wear a watch if size is the concern. Usually go for bracelet but would love a leather strap on an IWC if I could pull it off!

3717 @ 42mm is definitely a good size for < 7" wrists.  When it starts getting up to 45-46mm, things start looking a bit awkward for us skinny wrist folks.  

I have a ~6.8" wrist and can wear the Big Pilot from time to time, but I would consider it to be a smidge too big and a bit uncomfortable for everyday wear.  It's fine for the occasional weekend or dress watch, but I can't imagine wearing it daily simply because of the heft/size on my wrist.  I find that the perfect strap makes most things wearable though, just need to find out what works for you and how comfortable the watches are.

as a medium sized guy i find this adherence to wrist size somewhat disconcerting

and i do doubt if my wrists will ever gain enough girth to rock a proper satellite dish

yet i don't see any reason why that should dictate the watch i choose to wear on any given day

I just think personally that size is important here because overhanging lugs etc make the watch look awkward, like it doesn't fit, or even immature. In terms of style, things look better if they fit well. You can buy an expensive suit, but if it's ill fitting, it won't look stylish, for example. 

Exhibit A attached. What do you think?

bigwatch1.jpg

Guest REPPIN

I just think personally that size is important here because overhanging lugs etc make the watch look awkward, like it doesn't fit, or even immature. In terms of style, things look better if they fit well. You can buy an expensive suit, but if it's ill fitting, it won't look stylish, for example. 

bigwatch1.jpg

Thats not a watch, thats a desk clock. 

bigwatch1.jpg

Way too big, no offense. The lugs shouldn't go out over your wrist.

So ah, how do you reconcile these two comments?

as a medium sized guy i find this adherence to wrist size somewhat disconcerting

and i do doubt if my wrists will ever gain enough girth to rock a proper satellite dish

yet i don't see any reason why that should dictate the watch i choose to wear on any given day

yes but i blame the wearer not the watch

if you like to wear big watches please have the peripherals to back it up

that poor kid is exactly that, a poor kid ... and photochop didn't cut him any favors

Not myself in that pic I posted by the way guys. Just found it on Google images ;)

So ah, how do you reconcile these two comments?

Not myself in that pic I posted by the way guys. Just found it on Google images ;)

there is nothing to reconcile if ya read what i said

the only way to wear a watch, any watch - rep/gen/quartz/fantasy is to wear it because you want to wear it

it's not like anyone else paid for it so why should their opinion matter ?

there is nothing to reconcile if ya read what i said

the only way to wear a watch, any watch - rep/gen/quartz/fantasy is to wear it because you want to wear it

it's not like anyone else paid for it so why should their opinion matter ?

I did read what you said and quoted them. You find 'adherence to wrist size disconcerting', and you 'don't know why wrist size should dictate what you wear on any given day'. Yet you denigrated the Panerai wearer, describing him as a 'poor kid' (yet you haven't met him and know nothing about him, or the context of the picture itself). You also made some chest puff commentary about guys needing to 'have the peripherals to back it up'. Which to me means nothing, just sounds like bluster and the opinion of someone who is aggressively opposed (even offended sounding) to another man wearing a watch too large for his wrist. 

You can see where my confusion lies, are you saying that wrist size is relevant to watch size or not? :play_ball:

• 3 weeks later...

I did read what you said and quoted them. You find 'adherence to wrist size disconcerting', and you 'don't know why wrist size should dictate what you wear on any given day'. Yet you denigrated the Panerai wearer, describing him as a 'poor kid' (yet you haven't met him and know nothing about him, or the context of the picture itself). You also made some chest puff commentary about guys needing to 'have the peripherals to back it up'. Which to me means nothing, just sounds like bluster and the opinion of someone who is aggressively opposed (even offended sounding) to another man wearing a watch too large for his wrist. 

You can see where my confusion lies, are you saying that wrist size is relevant to watch size or not? :play_ball:

you Sir are a scholar and a gentleman

even if you're a PanFan :D

heck i have a coupla those too

in summation, wrist size is irrelevant as long as the wearer compensates everywhere else

• 3 weeks later...