When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to replace a crown?

cavi

Okay, I have a gen rolex crown for a 6538, and I have a rep 6538 with a 2813 movement.  I know how to remove the crown and stem.  How do I remove the stem from the crown, and will the stem fit the Gen Crown, or do I need a gen tube?

Well you've opened a bit of a can of worms here. Yes you need a gen tube unless you have a Phong or MQ and then it might work. But the inner diameter of the tube is probably too small so it will need fitting to the crown, if you don't go gen. Then, the 2813 stem doesn't fit a gen crown, the thread diameter and pitch are wrong. So you need a stem adapter to mate the crown to your 2813 stem. And then the stem will need cutting to the right length.

I went down this path with an ETA movement and a gen crown / tube and it was the grace of God that found me a stem to fit the crown and my movement. Actually it was a very kind and generous member here.

So. Do you want to put that crown on your DG movement rep or is an Athaya crown good enough for far less money?

Face facts, it won't be long until you're knee deep into a franken Big Crown build and you'll want to save the gen crown for that.

• Like 1