When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Review of Omega Seamaster Black GMT

By-Tor

title4.jpg

Ever since I first found this community, I always wanted a rep of this watch. While I've never really warmed up to the white "blanco" GMT, the black one has always been my favourite Seamaster (along with the James Bond SMP).

Unfortunately reps of this model always seemed to have some fundamental flaws: Either they had white datewheel, or didn't have the white window/box around it. They also had bad bezel inserts with lousy "18" and "6" numerals. Some dealers have used sales pictures of this rep with correct black datewheel, but have shipped bad ones with white. Bummer!

I almost gave up, but then one day Wackobirdkeeper (a RWI dealer) found this one! Wacko is a friend and a fellow watch nut and I asked him to find another for me... preferably asap. I absolutely needed this watch!

This watch has flaws, but nothing really serious. Of course the bezel was misaligned as usual, but that was a 5 minute fix. The hands (GMT hand and minute hand) are a bit too short. This is typical flaw on most Seamaster reps with "sword hands".

Unlike standard Seamasters the GMT winding crown screws down very deep. I was delighted to see that this was replicated flawlessly.

crown2.jpg

The datewheel is correct black and it has the correct white window around it. The bezel insert looks correct too, and the "color switch" from black to silver around markers 18 and 6 is spot on. The case construction is solid and the caseback is just as good as on the more expensive ETA models.

The dial has very strong and nice wave pattern, excellent, crispy and accurate print... and the crystal has antireflective coating. However, it's ironic that the crystal on the genuine isn't AR coated. Personally, I find the whole "AR issue" a bit exaggerated.

dial.jpg

The modified Asian 21J "faux GMT" has similar functionality as the ETA 2836-2. When you unscrew the crown to the date set position (the genuine doesn't have a quick-set date) and turn it anti-clockwise you're able to set the GMT hand independently. For more detailed information about the functionality of a "faux GMT" can be found HERE.

Unlike on Rolex GMT Master the GMT hand should be under the hour hand. So the infamous "hand stack" is correct on this rep.

Although the movement is "faux" it serves its purpose perfectly: to track the 2nd timezone. I don't know if Wacko checks his watches before he sends them out, but mine has been ETA-like accurate, winds silently and has good power reserve. Just out of curiosity... it would be nice to see Ziggy's review and breakdown of this movement (and the basic Asian 21J) eventually.

The date font is fair, but not 100%. The hands are coated with very strong Super Luminova, but the hour markers have typical weakish replica lume on them.

lume.jpg

The old genuine GMT's came with the "Bond" type bracelet, and I'm planning to get extra one for my watch as well. All the current models use the standard "Speedy" bracelet. It's less original, but still very nice looking watch bracelet. It has beautiful brushed and polished finish.

side3s.jpg

The diver's extension is tight, firm and solid (deployed in the picture) The Seamaster markings are "stamped" on the clasp, which is inaccurate. They're engraved on the genuine.

I found out that the polished "stripes" are separated from the brushed parts. This can be considered inaccurate, but it's not detectable at all (unless you remove a link). Actually I found this quite hilarious, and I've never seen such bracelet construction before. The bracelet uses pins as a resizing method, which is accurate.

link.jpg

So... the rep has some typical inaccuracies, and the minutiae details can't be compared to some new super accurate reps. So what's the catch then?

The catch is that this is the best replica of the Omega Seamaster GMT ever. Actually it's the only decent Seamaster GMT replica I've seen. Despite the flaws it looks fundamentally correct. Another catch is that it costs $95! Wacko sold out every single one of these as soon as he was able to source them. I'm not surprised as this is probably my best "bargain rep" ever... $95 is literally a steal for a great, great looker as this.

wrister2-1.jpg

You can certainly find gems from the cheaper Asian rep models, as this watch proves once again.

I see huge sales potential with this one, and it can be considered Omegas answer to the "Noobmariner". If you don't own any Omegas yet, I think this rep is perfect "starting model". It's also a great addition to any Omega fans collection... and it easily survives the comparison between some much more expensive rep models.

PS: Merry Christmas 2006 to all members at RWG, TRC and RWI!

ending-1.jpg

That's a great watch you have there By-tor!

And especially for the price - amazing!

But there is something wrong with the crystal... the gen does not give such distortions.

Yours:

173676-8988.jpg

Mine:

173676-8989.jpg

173676-8990.jpg

Cheers!

Edited by Sql_pl

Great review as allways!

Looks like the exact same replica as mine except for the black datewheel.

Does it say seanaster on the clasp?

Someone said that the datewheel could be swapped with a ETA 2824 datewheel, but I would like to get this confirmed. I have the asian 21j movement too, and am waiting for the mailman to bring me a black rubber strap for it. (and a ultimate PO!!!) Hope the strap fits!

Edited by space

That's a great watch you have there By-tor!

And especially for the price - amazing!

But there is something wrong with the crystal... the gen does not give such distortions.

Thanks for the comparison shots Maciek. Beautiful genuine!!!

Yes...the crystal is convex from the edges which seems to be inaccurate. Didn't notice that at all. However the picture angle exaggerates the problem.

Here's a wrist shot from the normal viewing angle:

173773-8969.jpg

Great review as allways!

Looks like the exact same replica as mine except for the black datewheel.

Does it say seanaster on the clasp?

Yes, I believe it's the exact same base watch as yours. Someone apparently ran out of black datewheels (at least temporarily) :) Dunno about "Naster". Judge for yourself. The text should be engraved, not "stamped".

173774-8968.jpg

Yes, I believe it's the exact same base watch as yours. Someone apparently ran out of black datewheels (at least temporarily) :) Dunno about "Naster". Judge for yourself. The text should be engraved, not "stamped".

173935-8951.jpg

Looks like the same "engravings" that I have. Currently the locking mechanism on my clasp has broke, so I have to glue it before I can use it again.

My white date wheel really bugs me...

I guess I soon will be updating some updates on mine.

Wonderful well done review as always...

Thanks for taking the time to research and put the hours into these great posts of yours, so much appreciated.

Happy Holidays...

RG

Thanks Ziggy. Appreciated!!! I'm really impressed of the accuracy of this cheap movement. You should make a breakdown of the basic Asian 21J one of these days. ;)

@dluddy: Nice wristshot!!!

Looks like the same "engravings" that I have. Currently the locking mechanism on my clasp has broke, so I have to glue it before I can use it again.

My white date wheel really bugs me...

I guess I soon will be updating some updates on mine.

I think I want to try the James Bond bracelet on this one. It's my favourite Omega bracelet and it looks fantastic on this watch.

Another good option is the Omega rubber strap for 20mm lugs (Joshua sells it).

http://perfect-clones.com/omru10002-rubber...ack-p-2302.html

You should make a breakdown of the basic Asian 21J one of these days. ;)

If I can find the time I will, there are so many variations on the Miyota copy, I do have some old Asian copies here, but not sure if they are the same models as in this model, or any of the newer ones out there... I dont' get any Asian copies in for service.

RG

Another great review. The GMT looks very similar to a recent purchase I made of the Seamaster 300 Pro.

108.00 asian, from Andrew. For the money, although not really all that accurate a rep, it still a very nice

watch. The one outstanding aspect is the power reserve. I take it off, replace it with another watch or two,

for a short period, and 48 to 60 hours later, the SMP is still running. Gotta like that.

Thank you for another excellent review, By-Tor. Impressive! :)

Seems like we have much similar taste in watches, the Seamaster GMT was one of the first watches that caught me, along with the Seamaster Chrono. Cool, Sporty watch! The GMT-Master looks a bit "old-fashioned" and dull in comparison.

Great value for money! Wear it proudly!

• 2 weeks later...
It looks like Trusty has the same version available HERE

Bytor - How do you think it compares?? I never really notived this before but it is REALLY growing on me now!!

Yes, it's the same watch on the pictures. But look what Space received from Andrew HERE.

You should ask Andrew to verify if he actually ships out this rep with WHITE datewheel, despite using sales pictures of the correct black. :bangin: