When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Review of Omega Seamaster Black GMT

By-Tor

Yes, it's the same watch on the pictures. But look what Space received from Andrew HERE.

You should ask Andrew to verify if he actually ships out this rep with WHITE datewheel, despite using sales pictures of the correct black. :bangin:

I ordered this watch the other month, and recieved it with BLACK datewheel, but WITHOUT the white outlined window.

Yes, it's the same watch on the pictures. But look what Space received from Andrew HERE.

You should ask Andrew to verify if he actually ships out this rep with WHITE datewheel, despite using sales pictures of the correct black. :bangin:

Just received my replacement GMT from Andrew, Black date wheel, white outline, speedy bracelet,Identical to yours, will get some pics up shortly.

• 2 weeks later...
Just received my replacement GMT from Andrew, Black date wheel, white outline, speedy bracelet,Identical to yours, will get some pics up shortly.

Hi There,

It seems Andrew has no stock anymore.

Any one else among the "trusted" dealers that you know ?

Cheers

Stephane

188856-5242.jpg

188856-5243.jpg

188856-5244.jpg

Just a few comments/criticisms of the rep, hope that's ok with everyone...

The transition of the numbers on the bezel from silver to black is not perfectly straight, there is some "leakage" if that is the correct word to use here. Compare to the genuine and you will see. On the wrist, no one will ever spot that though :thumbsupsmileyanim:

The bracelet that this rep comes on is correct for the white dial Omega Seamaster GMT, but it is all brushed - a brushed Speedmaster bracelet.

The bracelet for the genuine of this GMT is, I believe, a "Bond" bracelet, but using a hidden clasp mechanism which is very good, I have to say. Look at a review of the genuine here.

All in all, this rep is a great watch for the price, and I doubt they will have a reliable "true" GMT movement in the near future. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

The bracelet for the genuine of this GMT is, I believe, a "Bond" bracelet, but using a hidden clasp mechanism which is very good, I have to say. Look at a review of the genuine here.

You didn't read the review properly. Tsk tsk. :lol:

Only the old, out of production black GMT's come with the "Bond" bracelet. All the new ones use the Speedy bracelet with polished stripes. So the bracelet is 100% correct for the rep.

http://www.prestigetime.com/item.php?item_id=2272

I purchased another Bond bracelet because I really like it a lot more... and I'm planning to install it on this. It's without the hidden clasp but who cares... however... I have to drill second holes between the lugs because the springbars are positioned differently... they attach to the case higher inside the lugs.

• 2 weeks later...
Only the old, out of production black GMT's come with the "Bond" bracelet. All the new ones use the Speedy bracelet with polished stripes. So the bracelet is 100% correct for the rep.

http://www.prestigetime.com/item.php?item_id=2272

I purchased another Bond bracelet because I really like it a lot more... and I'm planning to install it on this. It's without the hidden clasp but who cares... however... I have to drill second holes between the lugs because the springbars are positioned differently... they attach to the case higher inside the lugs.

Good luck!

I think I would have sold mine (after getting the white dial version) if it didnt have this hidden clasp bracelet, it's really nice :)

• 1 month later...

A tribute to By-Tor's review ,

After having read your Omega Seamaster GMT review several times I couldn't live without it.

I decided to chase one with the correct date wheel and date window...

6 weeks of searches, mails back and forth and it finally arrived today (from Andrew by the way).

So, many thanks for giving me such a great tip.

I guess I will wear it for a while and probably sleep with it too :wub:

Stephane

PS: as we both use the same wood background for our pics I'm too shy to post some here :blush:

A tribute to By-Tor's review ,

After having read your Omega Seamaster GMT review several times I couldn't live without it.

I decided to chase one with the correct date wheel and date window...

6 weeks of searches, mails back and forth and it finally arrived today (from Andrew by the way).

So, many thanks for giving me such a great tip.

I guess I will wear it for a while and probably sleep with it too :wub:

Stephane

PS: as we both use the same wood background for our pics I'm too shy to post some here :blush:

Stephane,

Does your GMT have a Swiss movement and correct hand length?

Jim

Damnit By-Tor you are killing me. My wife is mad as hell because of the 4th gen PO I bought after reading your review. Now I REALLY WANT this one too.

You always review these killer reps that are of moderately priced gens, that a normal person can pull off. You have great taste.

Great review, once again. I'll add it to the want list.

Thanks guys. I bought a "Bond" bracelet for this watch a while back but the lugholes are in different position and I need to drill 2 new ones there. Will post pics when it's finished. Personally I like it much better on the Bond bracelet. :)

Stephane,

Does your GMT have a Swiss movement and correct hand length?

Jim

Hi Jim,

No and No

I opened it and it's an asian 21.

It is thus the exact same watch as reviewed by By-tor.

One remark: I won't try to regulate the time at all on this one as it is 5 seconds too fast in 48 hours (very impressive for a 100$ watch no ?)

Cheers

Stephane

Hi Jim,

No and No

I opened it and it's an asian 21.

It is thus the exact same watch as reviewed by By-tor.

One remark: I won't try to regulate the time at all on this one as it is 5 seconds too fast in 48 hours (very impressive for a 100$ watch no ?)

Cheers

Stephane

Stephane,

Thanks for the information. I didn't thoroughly read your post or I would have seen the $95 price. What a great watch for the $$.

Cheers,

Jim :victory:

Thanks Tonibari.

The bracelet has pins, and I bought it from a fellow forum member "Moppel". It's originally from Andrew (Trustywatchguy). I guess he sells them separately.

Now it doesn't have the "hidden" clasp that's used on the genuine GMT Black, but I don't really care. I really like this watch with the "Bond" bracelet.

PS: Most likely you'll need to drill two new holes inside the lugs because the pins on the "Bond" bracelet are positioned differently.

If I can find the time I will, there are so many variations on the Miyota copy, I do have some old Asian copies here, but not sure if they are the same models as in this model, or any of the newer ones out there... I dont' get any Asian copies in for service.

RG

@Ziggy,

If it helps I have open the GMT and the movement in it looks exactly the same as the one I have in a Sub I bought for 40$ and that doesn't work.

Maybe I can give it to you ? The only think is that I would like to keep the sub (even without the movement). If you want it , let me know and it's yours.

@By-Tor

I like the Bond bracelet, you're right it looks much better than the other one that looks a little "cheap" to me now that I see your last pic.

Great job.

Thanks again.

Cheers

Stephane

The bracelet has pins, and I bought it from a fellow forum member "Moppel". It's originally from Andrew (Trustywatchguy). I guess he sells them separately.

Hi By-Tor,

what have you been doing lately that it took you so long to put the bracelet on :whistling:

And yes, Andrew sells those bracelets separately.

No offense, but I'd prefer the original bracelet. I think the SMP bracelet distracts the attention too much off the beautiful dial and bezel.

Cheers

Moppel

Hi By-Tor,

what have you been doing lately that it took you so long to put the bracelet on :whistling:

Yeah I know... all work and no play makes By-Tor a dull boy. :lol:

I like the Speedy bracelet too... but now it's easy to change back and forth if I ever get bored. Thanks again for the bracelet mate.

So you had to drill new holes in the case to fit it?

I'm thinking of trying out a black nato strap on mine, as my clasp has broken. (some glue might fix it though, but after wearing a PAM111 for a year i tend to preffere straps)

So you had to drill new holes in the case to fit it?

Yes, because on the GMT the holes for bracelet pins are positioned more towards the edges of the lugs. On the rep "Bond" they're more in the center... so the pins of the Bond bracelet won't go to the original holes. Not a big deal though... just small bowls inside the lugs will suffice... they're not visible after installing the bracelet. And after this the bracelet sits perfectly.

You need a real small drill though.