When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Can you expect a replica to have dust under the crystal?

Kleif

Hello!

Is it common for reps to have dust on the dial / under the crystal? 

I really want a Tudor Black Bay, but I'm afraid dust would bother me too much.

I have never owned a replica, so I would be grateful to hear your experiences. Thanks!

This is such an odd question, regardless I'll try to provide an answer that has been given before. Reps are not made in the same clean room standards that you will likely find at Rolex/Tudor or any of the Swiss watch houses for that matter. That said it is possible for some something like a spec of dust to be under the crystal, however it is the easiest of all fixes and takes simple tools and a steady hand to remedy. If something like the possibility of dust under the crystal on a rep bothers you then I'd suggest getting a gen Tudor, there are limely bigger issues with the rep than a spec of dust that will bug you.

One speck of dust is probably fine, but if it is more than that it will likely bother me. I don't want to open the case myself (would probably make it worse) and I don't know if a watch maker would fix a replica.

I bought a new gen Speedy pro two years ago, so I can't justify a gen Tudor.

When I look at the videos from the dealers, it is hard to tell if the dust is under or over the crystal. So I wanted to ask you guys how common it is. Do the factories try to keep them clean, or don't they care?

But those swiss trolls and elves are working in near-clean room conditions, so the dust is definitely kept to a bare minimum. The children and mothers/wives assembling reps are working in garages and basements, warehouses, and offices. There's definitely no comparison between the cleanliness or lack thereof.