When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What are some of the coolest Sunglasses to wear?

katelens

Persol's are nice I have the 3021's and love the flex hinges, really good lenses and very well made.  Ray Ban 2140's are classic and with polarized lenses offer excellent protection and styling or as DB said the 3016's are great too.  Also love vintage Revo 840's and Vuarnet's from the 80's--some of the best lenses ever.  I have a couple pairs of Maui Jim's too and they have good lenses but do not like the styling as much as the others.    

I lost my Vuarnets over the side of the boat one year in the '90s and never replaced them. I have a pair of Revos that I love for out on the water. The polarized lenses are amazing. For other purposes, and driving, I wear Serengeti. Nothing beats them, in my opinion. The lenses are out of this world for clarity. Seriously, everything is enhanced. I won't drive without them.

I have several Revo and Serengetti sunglasses and one pair of Persol, these brands are super good quality if they have glass lenses.

I have one pair of Oakleys and one Serengetti that have the plastic lenses... the frames are great and the lenses are excellent until scratched... then they are almost unwearable.

I didn't even know that Serengeti made models with plastic lenses.  I wonder if they are a sport model, and the plastic is supposed to be lighter weight on the face?

I'm bummed about my Revo glasses because they took a tumble out of my shirt pocket a couple of summers ago and landed right on the lens.  They made it 10 years before a single issue happened.  That's how careful I am with these things.  Thankfully, there is only a teeny-tiny mark, but still it is into the special coating they use.  I called Revo and they said there is no way to repair it and because the model is so old I also could not get replacement lenses.  I would have to just buy a new pair.  They would issue me a loyalty discount, though, when/if that time ever comes.  It is so small and is not directly in my field of vision, so I can't even notice it when wearing them.  I got lucky.

I didn't even know that Serengeti made models with plastic lenses.  I wonder if they are a sport model, and the plastic is supposed to be lighter weight on the face?

I'm bummed about my Revo glasses because they took a tumble out of my shirt pocket a couple of summers ago and landed right on the lens.  They made it 10 years before a single issue happened.  That's how careful I am with these things.  Thankfully, there is only a teeny-tiny mark, but still it is into the special coating they use.  I called Revo and they said there is no way to repair it and because the model is so old I also could not get replacement lenses.  I would have to just buy a new pair.  They would issue me a loyalty discount, though, when/if that time ever comes.  It is so small and is not directly in my field of vision, so I can't even notice it when wearing them.  I got lucky.

There is a store on ebay that does replacement lenses for Revo.  The lenses are not quite as good as the originals, but they are good.  Depending on the model, you simply order the color and style you want and send them your glasses and they replace the lenses and send them back.  Only took a week or so.  They offer some pretty cool colors and fair prices.  I have 2 pairs of Revo 840's from the mid 80's, one of the lenses broke during a skiing wipe out but the frames are like brand new, so they sat in my glasses box for 25 years and I found that place on the bay.  

• Like 1

... because the model is so old I also could not get replacement lenses.

What model is this? I've got wads of old Revos lying around with broken arms. Don't ask why. :whistling:

What model is this? I've got wads of old Revos lying around with broken arms. Don't ask why. :whistling:

LOL. I'll check in the morning. They were a style with oval shaped lenses, a polished chrome or steel frame, and then black arms. The lenses are a cool reflective blue. I love the color. I wish they were bigger, though. They let a lot of light in around the perimeter of the ovals.

Ahhhh I know the ones. Sorry mate all mine are sport models with the plastic frames.

Thanks for checking. Very much appreciated. Here's a pic of them, anyway. I love them and thankfully they are still just fine after their little tumble. I'm looking at the lenses and you can't even see the little imperfection. It is extremely faint. I got very lucky! d26cc56e14fb49bd0ecec18b4d51ae9c.jpgb878b5fb6f03fc166a3b422d8c4a9d9f.jpg

There is a store on ebay that does replacement lenses for Revo.  The lenses are not quite as good as the originals, but they are good.  Depending on the model, you simply order the color and style you want and send them your glasses and they replace the lenses and send them back.  Only took a week or so.  They offer some pretty cool colors and fair prices.  I have 2 pairs of Revo 840's from the mid 80's, one of the lenses broke during a skiing wipe out but the frames are like brand new, so they sat in my glasses box for 25 years and I found that place on the bay.  

Hey droptopman - can I get the contact info for that lens refinishing/replacement company?  I don't need the service at the moment, but it would be nice to have their contact info handy for future use in case anything major were to happen to my glasses.  Do they also work on lenses from other manufacturers?

Edited by Mendota Explorer