When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Which Monaco?

robpatte

I'm having a dilemma. I already own a Monaco (WW2110) and whilst I like it, I'm not sure if I love it. It's a beautiful looking watch, but maybe a bit too removed from the originals, a bit too 'refined' if you know what I mean.

A CS2110 has come into my possession, it needs a new plexi, and a new strap, but it's the Heuer original re-issue. Closer to the original version (or at least as close as I'm gonna get without shelling out £4k)

Two questions...

1. How does everyone else feel about the evolution of the Monaco? It certainly has a distinctive look, (I'm no Steve McQueen wannabe, chasing ever more expensive and slightly more authentic re-issues) but are the designers chasing their tail a bit too much?

2. Is the CS2110 something that is worth holding onto over the WW2110? I like them both, but for different reasons. But I can't hold onto both, so which would you guys keep?

Rob

• 4 weeks later...

For me the Monaco as a design has been so diluted over the years due to the variations and what with that and the way Tag has become a very distinct brand as in the type of people that buy them (which is another discussion ;) )

Personally I find the Monaco as it was has lost the appeal that made it what it was IMHO...

Without doubt mate you should hold on to the CS2110 as it has more of the genes that made the Monaco what it was in its better days.. and of course has the higher value by complication alone but also i think in terms of its attraction..

I like the Monaco as the Monaco but I dont feel that way about the variations and offshoots that are 'labelled' Monacos by TAG.. in the main and arguably simple by its case...

The Steve McQueen attachment means nothing to me in the same way Sly has no bearing on my like of some PAMs or Arnie on APs etc etc.. It is however the only true Steve McQueen watch if there can be one .... ;) given the way that those US auctioneers whose name escapes me now ( I will edit it if I remember) who went to a lot of effort many years back now and with some over deserved success to brand the Daytona panda... A 'Steve McQueen' Rolex ... and how quickly people/collectors bought into it and still do !!

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies and advice, and (sorry PAMman) I've decided to go with the CS2110. Having worn it for a few weeks now, it just feels right. I tried on the WW2110 yesterday and it just felt a bit too... refined? ...dressy? ...overthought?

For me the Monaco is an interesting historical timepiece (square shape, first(ish) auto chrono), with the celebrity association only really pushed hard after McQueens death (he was hugely wary of having his name exploited, ironically one of the reasons he chose Heuer rather than the more famous Omega and Rolex). So the CS2110 will remain on my wrist, and the WW2110 will fund a new purchase...